Question about wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillChaos

Joined Jun 23, 2014
Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and was hoping to get some help! I originally posted this question on a Toyota Celica car forum but I am not getting any responses, most likely because it is more to do with electronics in general and not the actual car.

I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GT. I am attempting to get my radiator cooling fans working, using a work-around.

I am an extreme novice in regards to wiring and was hoping an idea like this might work, but I do not know for sure, please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve what I am trying to do.

This is the link to where you can view the image if it doesn't work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnwlomfhmvht4ug/3.png

If the picture is hard to understand:
I am wanting to wire both of my single cooling fans together, into the interior of my car so I can use a switch to choose whether or not I want the fans on. The switch will then be connected to an inline fuse, which will be connected to the battery of the car (or some place else...any suggestions?).

One major concern I am having is this...
The fans are stock fans, which I have no idea how many amps they are each, but I am going to just assume for now that they are both 7.5 amps.
The current switch I have is 1.5 amps.
The inline fuse I have is 30amps.
The first problem I feel as though I would encounter is that the fans would be pulling the power they need through the 1.5 amp switch. If the fans are drawing at least 15amps total, wouldn't that fry the switch since it can only handle 1.5 amps? If this is true, do I just need to locate a switch that can handle 15+ amps?
Also, should I use a 2, 3, or 4 pin switch/button? A link to one I should get would be optimal if possible please! :)

Please let me know any information or links you could provide me to help me in fixing my current problem. Thank you very much!

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The first link you need to read is this site's Terms of Service

Especially section 6. Discussion of automotive modifications are not allowed. A moderator might provide some alternative links where you can get assistance.

The site owners have decided on this restriction. Please understand.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
As an automotive electrical tech, my first piece of advice would be to fix it right the first time and repair it as it should be. Wiring in switches and fuses on a component so vital as your engine cooling fans is a big no-no and I'm sure in the long run it will cost you more money than what it would to do it right. That added with the fact that it sounds like you are very green in the electrical world and the same with auto mechanics makes for a good reason to trust a professional. It's a good idea, but I have seen this one too many times with bad consequences. Overheated engines usually comes to mind. It can be as simple as a broken wire to repair it.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:
Quote:
6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:
• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
• Transformer-less power supplies

This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.