Question about wiring an inverter to a 3 phase motor

johnboyman

Joined Jun 1, 2019
Hello. I have been working on a three phase motor and I also have bought an inverter for it. It is a 220 volt in and 1.5 kw output inverter. I decided that i wanted to test it out with a very tiny basic three phase motor because the wiring of my other one is so complex and big I want to start out small and just get it running in its most basic form. So i made a miniature three phase motor made out of three small coils wired in star. When i try to start my three phase motor it says theres an error. Short Circuit/Current Overload/ Power module protection. I have attached images of the inverted and the diagram that i got the wiring plan from.Its a new inverter. I don't know that much about the inner workings of it. What could be overloading. Has anyone worked with this kind of inverter? thanks for any tips.

Attachments

johnboyman

Joined Jun 1, 2019
Ok so what i make from your comments is that the inductors are not big enough to oppose changes in the current so it just shorts out? I don't need to make a motor right away. I just want to get the most simple arrangement of inductors which is three. How do you find out how many amps per phase an inverter runs at.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What is the make/model of VFD you purchased?
Some are basic frequency control for fans etc, then the vector control versions for machine tool applications etc.
All Types, especially the latter, expect to see certain results from the motor under control, so it is very hard to mock up any type of simulation in the form of a faux motor.
Both motor and VFD details would help.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You could try the inverter by connecting three incandescent bulbs in the "Y" hookup as a way to verify operation. That will show if it is working and you should be able to dim the lights as you reduce the speed setting.
Those small coils are far to small to come close to simulating a motor.
AND, NONE of the wiring that I see in the picture is adequately sized for a motor application.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hello. I have been working on a three phase motor and I also have bought an inverter for it. It is a 220 volt in and 1.5 kw output inverter. I decided that i wanted to test it out with a very tiny basic three phase motor because the wiring of my other one is so complex and big I want to start out small and just get it running in its most basic form. So i made a miniature three phase motor made out of three small coils wired in star. When i try to start my three phase motor it says theres an error. Short Circuit/Current Overload/ Power module protection. I have attached images of the inverted and the diagram that i got the wiring plan from.Its a new inverter. I don't know that much about the inner workings of it. What could be overloading. Has anyone worked with this kind of inverter? thanks for any tips.
Dont blow up your VFD. You are making things way more complex than just connecting it up to your motor. Just make sure to program the basic parameters

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
i wanted to test it out with a very tiny basic three phase motor because the wiring of my other one is so complex and big I want to start out small and just get it running in its most basic form.
What is so big and complex in the present set up?,
If wishing to integrate the VFD, you will need to know details at some point, do you have a schematic or DWG?
Max.

johnboyman

Joined Jun 1, 2019
You could try the inverter by connecting three incandescent bulbs in the "Y" hookup as a way to verify operation. That will show if it is working and you should be able to dim the lights as you reduce the speed setting.
Those small coils are far to small to come close to simulating a motor.
AND, NONE of the wiring that I see in the picture is adequately sized for a motor application.
Ok thanks for the advice that's what i want to do test out my inverter. If it's 1.5 kw how big of bulbs would I need? Thanks.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I would start with 100 watt bulbs, because they will not be an overload, and if the drive works correctly with them then you know it is not fried or inoperative. But if the drive is for a 240 volt motor then use 2 of the 75 watt bulbs in series for each of the three legs of the "Y".
This will not be a max load test, but it will be enough to verify that the drive is functioning.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would start with 100 watt bulbs, because they will not be an overload, and if the drive works correctly with them then you know it is not fried or inoperative. But if the drive is for a 240 volt motor then use 2 of the 75 watt bulbs in series for each of the three legs of the "Y".
This will not be a max load test, but it will be enough to verify that the drive is functioning.
the motor expert has spoken.