Question about transformers

Kylelem62

Joined Mar 19, 2013
So I need transformers for some high output led lights that I am going to start selling. I need somewhere from 32-36 volts from 120 vac. I can not find any transformers that have the proper ratio. The transformer must be able to handle 3 amps. How would I go about winding one? What materials would I need to get. I would prefer to purchase in bulk (50ish). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You don't wind your own mains transformer unless you are willing to set your house on fire.
You better start shopping around for a transformer.

Kylelem62

Joined Mar 19, 2013
Have been, can't find one to the specs. only other thing I can think of is a huge-ass voltage divider with ceramic resistors+heatsink+fan... But thats a little wasteful.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That is much to expencive/large/heavy. I am looking for something smaller, and less expensive. I am looking for something cheap, I don't mind winding my own, if someone could instruct me how.
Mains power transformers are big, heavy, and expensive, there's no getting around that. And winding your own is really not practical.

Instead you could use a main's powered switching regulator circuit, such as one of these, that uses much smaller transformers for the same power. But they won't necessarily be cheap either.