Question about the MAX7219CNG LED Driver

JoeBro391

Joined May 15, 2010
I recently came across the MAX7219CNG LED Driver and had a few (somewhat simple) questions. Hopefully, there are some members on this forum that are familiar with it. I've read the datasheet but my questions weren't really answered. First off, is the chip a counter/divider? It says it can drive up to 8 7-segment displays but it doesn't say whether it needs to be programmed, or needs sometime of input circuit for counting (like a 4026 chip), or it kind of has a built-in 4026 and just needs input pulses from a 555 timer or similar device.

Next, does the chip run by itself or does it need sometime of micro-controller to work properly? Perhaps what I'm basically asking: can this chip be used as a 4026 counter IC that can be used to multiplex 8 7-segment displays (kinda like 8 4026 chips in a single IC)??

If anyone can fill me in, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. -Joe

jbeng

Joined Sep 10, 2006
The MAX7219 isn't a counter, it's a display driver. The data for the displays will need to be formatted and sent to it from some type of a microprocessor or microcontroller. Without using a micro, I can think of no easy way to communicate with it.

JoeBro391

Joined May 15, 2010
The MAX7219 isn't a counter, it's a display driver. The data for the displays will need to be formatted and sent to it from some type of a microprocessor or microcontroller. Without using a micro, I can think of no easy way to communicate with it.
thanks man, that just saved me $8.50...for now ha. -Joe