Question About Hooking a Speaker to Perfboard

freemindbmx

Joined Mar 5, 2014
I would love a step by step if you can, just anything. Like what I should solder my speaker cable I bought to, and what to plug into ground. Thanks :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A single speaker doesn't know positive from negative. Just get a 1/8 inch mono jack, connect one speaker wire to each terminal, and jam that into the speaker hole on the amplifier.

freemindbmx

Joined Mar 5, 2014
By each terminal do you mean, just the positive and ground of the perf board or one into the output of the 2n4401 and one into ground? I just need the output of the 2nd 2n4401 to be feed into the speaker so I can pick up the signal and hear it.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The device you purchased isn't just a speaker. It is an amplifier plus a speaker. Because of this, you have to be careful which input wire goes where.

Using a 1/8" (3.5mm) mono phone plug, connect one wire from the tip contact to your circuit output of the 2n4401. Connect the other wire from the ring contact to your circuit ground.

ak

freemindbmx

Joined Mar 5, 2014
ok, just to be sure. I'll go to radioshack and buy a 1/8' mono phone plug. So it'll have 2 conductors on it, a tip and sleeve(im pretty sure) and I then solder speaker wire to the tip and sleeve and plug the tip into ground and sleeve into output of my 2n4401 and then plug into speaker amp. Correct? The tip is the center contact right?

Also, do I have to use speaker wire, or can I just use AWG wire?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
The device you purchased isn't just a speaker. It is an amplifier plus a speaker.

Do not wire this to an amplifier, as this is an amplifier plus a speaker.

Would you care to share what EMG stands for when you use it?

freemindbmx

Joined Mar 5, 2014
Electromyography. I'm trying to use this device as a simple way to hear neural spikes in a cricket/cockroaches leg. And the reason I use two 2n4401 and the values for my resistors is Vc has to drop the voltage so our spike has enough room to be amp'ed and Vb, needs to be .6v higher then Ve. The transresistence is .026v/Ie. But Ie and Ic are in series so I chose a value for 001a.

But when talking to a friend and looking it up online, they suggest using this amp speaker to hear the spike since were trying to hear a range of 300Hz.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
ok, just to be sure. I'll go to radioshack and buy a 1/8' mono phone plug. So it'll have 2 conductors on it, a tip and sleeve(im pretty sure) and I then solder speaker wire to the tip and sleeve and plug the tip into ground and sleeve into output of my 2n4401 and then plug into speaker amp. Correct? The tip is the center contact right?

Also, do I have to use speaker wire, or can I just use AWG wire?
With only a 2n4401 as an output device, just about any kind of wire will work.

Yes, the center contact is the tip, but this goes to your signal output. The sleeve goes to ground.

ak