Question about Electronics/Bench Technician Job

jecowan

Joined Feb 8, 2011
I have a degree in electronics technology, I graduated in 2009 and have been looking for jobs since I graduated. I have found an electronics/bench technician position that I want to apply for. Is a bench technician an entry-level job? and what all do bench technician do? I want to make sure I can do this job before I apply for it and go to an interview. Its been almost 2 years since I graduated so I am trying to go over things I have learned and keep information fresh so when I get a job I know what i am doing. any advice.... thanks

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I use the job application/interview process as an exploration tool more often than trying to find a job. It gives me an opportunity to talk with people and get to know thier needs, a bit about their operations, quality of work being offered in general, industry trends, and economic indicators.

If you feel you have the basic pre qualifications, go in and talk to them, that way you'll know for sure.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
In my opinion, an organisation recruiting for a technician post would probably put more emphasis on recent relevant experience than on academic qualifications. On the other hand, for some jobs specific technician certificates could be required. To find out if your qualifications would be acceptable, you would really have to make an application. Depending on their policies, and the exact mature of the job, the management may even decide that you are too well qualified, and therefore would not be so well motivated.

This may be less of a problem in some countries than others. The normal level of qualifications has also tended to increase over time, so I may be out of date here. When I was training, basic degrees were just about becoming mandatory for engineers, whereas most technicians would have considerably lower qualifications. Things may have changed a lot since then.

As for what a bench technician is expected to do, testing, fault-finding, or repair work are all possibilities, but you might find that it is more or less assembly line work. There is a nasty tendency to describe jobs in terms which make them sound more interesting than they really are, e.g. "waste management and disposal technician" = dust bin man. You need to be realistic about this, but don't be too put off by my pessimism.

It may help you to find out as much as possible about the organisation concerned and the products or services they provide. Do they provide any recruitment information that you could study? Try searching the web.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
jecowan
getdeviceinfo is spot on
It depends on the company you are applying at
My first go around was for Motorola when the MODAT came out.
I was bench/line technician fixing the radios that came off the line that would not work when bench tested. piece of cake job.
If the company is Lockheed Martin, a bench technician position will be more demanding than say Sunbeam Toasters.
As GDI says, use interviews as fact-finding ventures.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Depends on your ability to test curcuits,use solder with the latest solder stations.
Be able solder the small parts needed to be replaced in a curcuit. A tour of the plant
first would be good if available. Google the company to see the products they and
see if you are familar there products.Do they offer repairs on there products. If you
could network and get a postion that someone works for. If you are not an
excellent solder tech. Today a resume follows you for life,the same when you
are rejected. I have posted the hi-tech companies rely on umemployment
training centers in your area. Go in and tell them you are there to be
evaluated for your best skills and education and past employment.They have
jobs that are never listed.The large and local companies use there free screening service.
No misinformation,if you have skills you will find a postion,large companies depend
on them for empolyees.That why a state lures companies with job service.
Check it out you have nothing to lose,if you are what say you are,thats the only
way.