Question about Class B audio amplifier

simpsonss

Joined Jul 8, 2008
hi,
I'm trying to learn about this so i decide to do the following experiment.
http://http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_6/10.html

The first circuit i construct is as above. From the explanation i will get a distortion waveform at the output part. But what i get is a nice sine wave. :confused:I had inputted 1Khz 2Vp-p sine wave at the input part. The only distortion is get is when i turn the volume (potentiometer) higher. Can someone help me on this.

thanks.

simpsonss

Joined Jul 8, 2008
If i disconnect the output pin(pin1) of the OpAmp which going to the base of the TIP42C transistor but still connected to the base of the TIP41C transistor, and then i have a look on the output waveform should i get a half cycle sine wave? The purpose for me to do this is to more understand on the ON OFF of both transistor.

thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Do not disconnect one output transistor because then the remaining transistor might have a reverse emitter-base voltage that exceeds its max allowed reverse voltage that is only 5V.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
so is it no other way to have a look on just a half cycle wave of the sine wave at the output part?
Simply look at the output. The positive-going part is from the NPN transistor and the negative-going part is from the PNP transistor.

In a simulation program you can separately look at the current in each output transistor that flows for its on-polarity.

simpsonss

Joined Jul 8, 2008
so do u mean that i cant display out only the positive-going part by just disconnect the -12V which going to the PNP transistor. Am i correct?

thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If you disconnect the -12V going to the collector of the PNP transistor then the base signal of the NPN transistor could go more negative than -5V which is the max allowed reverse-bias emitter-base voltage causing avalanche breakdown of the junction and damaging the transistor. Look at the datasheet of the NPN transistor to see the Absolute Maximum Emitter-base Voltage.

If you disconnect the +12V to the collector of the NPN transistor then the PNP transistor might be damaged.

But if you keep the peak signal level less than the max reverse voltage rating then you can disconnect a collector to see half the waveform.

simpsonss

Joined Jul 8, 2008
But if you keep the peak signal level less than the max reverse voltage rating then you can disconnect a collector to see half the waveform.
hi, thanks for the reply. But can u explain a bit more about that?How could i keep the peak signal below the max reverse voltage?

thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
But can u explain a bit more about that? How could I keep the peak signal below the max reverse voltage?
By simply turning down the level of the input signal so the reverse voltage of the emitter-base junction does not exceed its max allowed rating of about 5V.

The datasheet for every transistor has a max allowed voltage rating listed for its reverse-biased emitter-base junction. Some transistors have a 4.5V rating (2N5089), some have 6.0V (2N3904) and other transistors have 7.0V (2N3055).

simpsonss

Joined Jul 8, 2008
hi guru,

could 2 pairs of push-pull amplifier become a quasi-complementary amplifier?
The characteristic of a push-pull amplifier is only one transistor will be switched on at a time and NPN for the positive waveform while PNP for negative waveform. Am i correct?

Since it seems like very less info about the characteristic of quasi-complementary amplifier in the net. I would like to ask some guidance and info from guru. Any idea about quasi-complementary amplifier?

thank you.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Instead of guessing, why don't you look in Google?
Many articles show that an old quasi-complementary amplifier uses the same transistor for both output transistors instead of complementary transistors like used in the last amplifier you showed.

I have an amplifier that was made in 1964 and it uses a quasi-complementary circuit using NPN 2N3055 power transistors for both output transistors. Matching high power PNP transistors were not made yet so only the medium-power driver transistors were complimentary.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Does quasi-complementary better than push-pull or it depends?
Pure complementary and quasi-complimentary are both push-pull.

Modern amplifiers use pure complementary class-AB circuits for very low distortion.

46 years ago when good PNP power transistors were very expensive or not available then they used quasi-complementary class-AB circuits that worked but not as well as pure complementary circuits today.