Question about a certain schematic representation

Kevin2341

Joined Nov 1, 2009
I'm in an freshman level EE class at the moment (circuit analysis to be exact), and we have to build a circuit of our choice from any schematic we can find (as long as it has a practical use, and not too simple like a 555 flasher).

I found this schematic on Jameco,
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/2169580Schematic.pdf

I understand everything on this schematic except pins 3 and 4 on the 4017 chip. It shows a path going through this chip, and then those pins are highlighted in green but don't appear to be going anywhere, not even to ground.

Can someone explain to me what this implies?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Just the way it's drawn so lines don't cross.

3 goes to resistor.
pin 4 to pin 15.

vdd and vss not shown.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Ignore the meaning of lines drawn inside the chip. You will be wiring around the outside.

Someone on here may volunteer a real drawing. :)

Kevin2341

Joined Nov 1, 2009
ok, so maybe someone can walk me through this. (or do a schematic redraw). I'll attempt to explain what I understand about this. I think I understand the lines now, but I want to get correction in case I am understanding this wrong.

Going left to right on the schematic for 4017:

Pin 14 connects to pin 6 of the opamp
Pin 13 connects to ground
Pin 15 Connects to the power supply (with a switch in it? Possibly an on\off switch?)
Pin 3 is connected to pin 2 of the opamp with my LDR in between these two pins
Pin 2 connects to the speaker
Pin 4 connects to Pin 15 (which will connect through a switch to the power supply?)

And then pin 8 and 16 will connect to the battery\power supply and ground? According to the pinout I'm reading from a google search, pin 8 is Vcc (positive voltage as I've known it?) and pin 16 is Vdd (ground?)

Does this sound correct to you all?

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
I understand everything on this schematic except pins 3 and 4 on the 4017 chip. It shows a path going through this chip, and then those pins are highlighted in green but don't appear to be going anywhere, not even to ground.

Can someone explain to me what this implies?
Where there is a dot, there is a connection.