Quantum computing

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
They're working on Quantum computers now, they can in the lab using ungodly amounts of resources create a few handful of Qubits, which are the basic unit of storage/processing. You won't see consumer computers based on the technology for something like 25-50 years, if even then.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I think you are way off on those number my man. The first IC was created around 1958, in 1971 the 4004 was created, and a year later the 8008. The rate of invention and creation is accelerating, and working examples of quantum devices have been around for at least 5 years. It is entirely possible the military has working examples of such, even an equivalent to 8 bits devices would be useful at those speeds.

When it hits it will be overnight. I bought my first computer, the TRS80, in 1977. Even in high school I knew this was something I wanted to get my hands on.

The hard part, the actual invention of the computer, was a long process, but now we have a good idea what we are going for development takes less and less time. I suspect the 1st commercial quantum device is going to be a hybrid between old and new tech.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Qubits and quantum mechanical computers are NOT semi conductors, we're talking about the manipulation of the state of a single atom and subatomic particles, even the 4004 and the first transistors had a few million atomic components to single node, if not billions.

This will not be the same overnight sensation that transistors were, it will take decades longer to perfect even basic principals, manufactoring will take dozens more years.

I'm willing to state that in black and white now, and have this topic revisited 20 years from now when I'm in my 50's.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
You really ought to read physorg.com more, they are developing chips now. While not being semiconductors and using PN junctions, it still uses micro fabrication techniques, and is being developed on several fronts. Actively so, with positive results. The transistor equivalents of the quantum world have already been developed, now they are actively working on bundles (again, with good results). I think you're behind the curve on this one.

But this is extremely off topic, if you want to start a thread I'll be glad to post the articles as I find them.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
The chips being developed now have nothing whatsoever to do with quantum computing regardless of their scale anymore than tunnel diodes do even though their basic function is based on the quantum dynamic effects of it's materials..

The transistor equivalents of the quantum world have already been developed
That is dead wrong, they have been DISCOVERED, not developed. True quantum computing only exists in labs in the highest end universities, and even then only a handful of qubits at a time, and I know of not developed qubit based switch.

What you're talking about is only a minor evolution of existing methodology.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The chips being developed now have nothing whatsoever to do with quantum computing regardless of their scale anymore than tunnel diodes do even though their basic function is based on the quantum dynamic effects of it's materials..

That is dead wrong, they have been DISCOVERED, not developed. True quantum computing only exists in labs in the highest end universities, and even then only a handful of qubits at a time, and I know of not developed qubit based switch.

What you're talking about is only a minor evolution of existing methodology.
I mentioned it before, I am willing to discuss this on another thread. I will be glad to show my sources there, but this thread is meant for superconductors. Sheesh.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
No need Bill, I was just trying to correct something I thought was misleading about the current development of Quantum computers, no jeesh needed as I didn't mean it in an offensive manner at all, if I came across that way I apologize. When I hear Quantum computing it means one thing only and that's qubits as the computational or data storage medium. That's all I say on the manner, if you'd care to start a thread and post some reference about what you think is cool and going on in the Quantum computing field please do so I'd like to hear from someone that follows this stuff more closely.