Quad pole single throw

crackley

Joined May 21, 2012
I have four HVAC systems, each with their own controller. On the controller there is a binary input to tell the unit whether to heat or cool. I would like to wire the the four controllers to a single switch but the installation manual says, "Controlling multiple Comfort Manager binary inputs from a single contact closure is not permitted." Is there a switch or relay that can get me around this restriction? In other words, is there a single switch with four independent circuits?

Thanks,
Clay

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Sure, just go shopping at Mouser, Newark, DigiKey or others. So many switch choices you won't believe it. ;)
What you want is a 4PST switch. Search on that term and you'll have choices.

Last edited:

crackley

Joined May 21, 2012
A search for 4PST gave me exactly what I was looking for. I've been searching all afternoon for QPST (Q for quad since D was used for double) with no luck. Thank you!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
You may find a quad double pole (4PDT) switch to be more available and even cheaper! You just don't use the other connections.

Also for sanity sake remember when you throw the switch UP it connects the terminals that are on the DOWN side as there is essentially a lever inside moving the contacters.