Q: How can you verify if an inverter is a pure sine wave inverter?

foolios

Joined Feb 4, 2009
I prolly should open up a new thread but I have a similar question about another similar inverter, with the exception that this other inverter is larger scale.
It doesn't mention anything about grounding either in the manual for hooking it up, just mentions positive and negative cables. But it seems to me to have a ground lug on it.
Here are a few pics:
It is this type of inverter: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PURE-SINE-WAVE-POWER-INVERTER-1500-3000-WATT-DC-TO-AC-/331258729547?pt=US_Power_Inverters_&hash=item4d208f144b
Here is the pics of the lug:

Thanks in advance for any input.

P.S. I should prolly do the same voltage test I did for the 300w version?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Go forth and power up!
A few posts ago the OP was willing to throw his new, Chinese-made inverter in the trash. Now, after reading posts from anonymous people on the Internet, will he plug in his $900 laptop with all of his precious memories?

The suspense! The psychology! The humanity!

foolios

Joined Feb 4, 2009
A few posts ago the OP was willing to throw his new, Chinese-made inverter in the trash. Now, after reading posts from anonymous people on the Internet, will he plug in his $900 laptop with all of his precious memories?

The suspense! The psychology! The humanity!
Just a short while ago I was told that modified sine wave inverters were very hard on most electronics. That most modern day electronics required a pure sine wave.
But I've been reading a lot about this matter and I've been finding more and more information regarding that modified sine wave is generally OK to use.

The biggest rule of thumb that I am finding concerning modified sine wave inverters is that, if the device has a transformer(a Wal-Wart), it is safe to use; and that if the device does not have a transformer(Wal-Wart) but plugs directly into an outlet, that that device may be damaged by a modified sine wave; but that even in those cases you can contact the vendor of the device to find out that it may actually be just fine.

The one real world indicator that modified sine wave must not be that destructive is that everywhere I go, whether it's Autozone, Radioshack, etc. They don't carry pure sine wave inverters. They are all carrying modified sine wave inverters.
I would imagine that if modified sine wave inverters were destroying electronics, that it would be a common occurance all over the place.
I am not reading any horror stories on the matter.

I have a short research history on this matter and I do not have any authority on providing these comments as fact backed by any statistics but I am hoping that others will chime in with their knowledge to clarify this dilemma of whether it is ok to use modified sine wave inverters.

The inverter may not be able to be categoried is as either pure nor modified but even if it falls more towards the modified wave, it seems so far that it might work out just fine.

Thanks in advance for any further inputs.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Out of interest I ran a simulation to determine the likely effect of a modified-sine-wave (MSW) supply on the input stage of a typical SMPS as would be used to power a laptop etc.
The left and right circuits in the attached are the same except that they have MSW and pure-sine (PS) inputs respectively, of similar RMS voltage.
I conclude that the bridge diodes are the components most likely to suffer from using an MSW input, since they pass much higher current spikes than those in the PS case. So, depending on the diode rating and quality, some SMPS may survive while others may fail. The voltages developed across the main reservoir caps (C2,C4) are similar, and the voltage ripple difference is unlikely to bother any component downstream.

Attachments