Python IDLE won't open.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I am using a Win7 Home Premium 64-bit machine (SP1) and Python 3.3.3.

I was editing a bunch of files with IDLE and everything was going fine. Then I tried to open a file and nothing happened. If I tried to open a .py file (any .py file) from an existing instance of IDLE, it briefly flashed up a new window and then closed both the new window and the existing window (normally it opens the requested in a new window leaving the existing window untouched).

If I launch the Python GUI it opens a Python Shell fine. But as soon as I try to open a file (including a "new" file), it closes the Shell.

I rebooted the machine. Same problem.

I repaired the Python installation and rebooted. Same problem.

I uninstalled Python. Rebooted. Deleted the Python33 directory entirely. Rebooted. Installed Python. Rebooted. Same problem.

Everything else on the system appears to be working just fine.

Any ideas what the problem might be or how else I might go about fixing things?

TIA

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Two things come to mind, but I am away from my machine.

1. Are there any entries in Windows Application Event Viewer?

2. Did the file association for .py files get changed? That's happened to me before and I never could discover why the association changed.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Two things come to mind, but I am away from my machine.

1. Are there any entries in Windows Application Event Viewer?

2. Did the file association for .py files get changed? That's happened to me before and I never could discover why the association changed.
How do I find the Windows Application Event Viewer? I've seen it and looked at it in XP, but I can't even find it here.

The file association is good. I can open them find in Python27.

If I reconfigure Python33 to open in the editor instead of the shell, it opens an empty editor. But as soon as I try to save the file it goes away.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks!

So I scanned through the log and didn't see anything. Then I tried opening some files in order to hopefully generate some events and... nothing. I did it several times and closed the Event Viewer and refreshed it and... nothing. So whatever is going on it is not causing any events that the O/S is set up to log.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Thanks!

So I scanned through the log and didn't see anything. Then I tried opening some files in order to hopefully generate some events and... nothing. I did it several times and closed the Event Viewer and refreshed it and... nothing. So whatever is going on it is not causing any events that the O/S is set up to log.
Ok, I am shooting in the dark, but maybe try this program, called Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Maybe this will give a clue about what is happening behind the curtains.