pwm wiring help

TANDBERGEREN

Joined Jan 20, 2014
You probably will find a black, a red and a yellow wire on theese fans.

Black is the negative, Red is positive.
The yellow wire is either for readin fan speed, setting fan speed or other purpose.

Seems as if they are delivered with a form of PWM-controller, either built in the fan or as a separate unit.

Too litle information on the link to the fans.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The regulator you have linked to is for a DC-motor.

Three og four wires lead me to believe You hace a AC-motor in your fan.
I had to google it. It has 4 wires because it has two voltage sources, 6 volts and 12 volts. So you got 4 wires: 6 volts, 12 volts, pmw, ground.

Also, I have not used Asus motherboards, but the vid I found on youtube said that Asus has 4 pin fan connectors that provide 6 and 12 volts for fans of this type.

stilllearning

Joined Dec 9, 2013
thanks, i am basically looking to control 4 80mm fans with a knob dial to turn them all down or up but am struggling to find a simple
solution,

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
thanks, i am basically looking to control 4 80mm fans with a knob dial to turn them all down or up but am struggling to find a simple
solution,
These Arctic Cooling F8 fans have an interesting option. You can link the fans together with special adapter.

The article I read is that you link the fans and then plug the adapter into cpu fan socket. If you do it this way, you can use manufacturer/third party fan control program to control the fans. It says you can control maximum of 5 fans, so you have 1 fan on cpu, 2 fans in the front, 2 fans in the back. When cpu goes hot, the cpu fan controller will speed up cpu fan, but since the other 4 fans are also connected to cpu fan controller, they will also speed up. So you move air at the cpu faster, you move cooler air into the case faster and you move warmer air out of case faster. This is one option if you want to include cpu fan.
Or.
You can make your own pwm controller with the knob that you want, plug the adapter into your own pwm controller and control them with the knob.

Some light reading:
Arctic's PWM case fans are a little different to normal PWM fans. This is thanks to the patented PST (PWM Sharing Technology). The PST feature allows up to five of these fans to be daisy chained together, meaning the motherboard can power and regulate all five fans from one PWM fan header from the motherboard.
http://www.quietpc.com/ac-arctic-f8-pwm

Last edited: