PWM regulation problem

Zanac-X

Joined Dec 23, 2011
hey guys :)

im trying to make a PWM using 555 timer and my problem is that the regulation of my circuit is wrong. when i turn my potentiometer the led will barely light until i reach about 98% of the value, the led starts to give bright color and varies very good from 98% to 100% value of my potentiometer

so what should i do to make the led respond smoothly with the potentiometer from zero to max value

thank you for your help

p.s : the value of the potentiometer is 100 kΩ

Attachments

Zanac-X

Joined Dec 23, 2011
thank you 20k was good enough :)

is there any better schematic diagram to have a good PWM as im trying to control an RGB led

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

For safety I would put a resistor of about 100 Ohms from the wiper to the pin 3 of the 555.
Without the resistor, the current could become to high and strain the 555.

Bertus

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
hey guys :)

im trying to make a PWM using 555 timer and my problem is that the regulation of my circuit is wrong. when i turn my potentiometer the led will barely light until i reach about 98% of the value, the led starts to give bright color and varies very good from 98% to 100% value of my potentiometer

so what should i do to make the led respond smoothly with the potentiometer from zero to max value

thank you for your help

p.s : the value of the potentiometer is 100 kΩ
The *REAL* 555 PWM uses 2 timers with one as a monostable.

As you're using a pot, its easier to put up/down diodes on the ends of the pot and stick it in the charge/discharge path.

A similar method works with the CMOS inverter rigged to oscillate - plenty of examples online.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Another thing to consider is whether your using a linear or logarithmic pot. You don't say, but if your like many, if you salvaged a pot from another source, say a volume control in a radio, it may be a logarithmic pot.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

An other posibility is using the 555 as an oscillator and a comparator to create the pwm signal.

Here is an example that Bill_Marsden created some time ago:

You can use multiple comparators on one oscillator to create the PWM signals for the RGB led.

Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
That is actually a drawing from one of my articles, LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers. It is a spare gate, not used. Many comparators come in multiples in packages. Just because they are there does not mean you have to use them, though if a use comes up...

You want to tie a spare gate inputs to ground to prevent unwanted effects such as oscillation. Since the output is a open collector I grounded it too, which is the exception. Most gates will blow if you do this.

A LM393 is a dual comparator, a LM339 is a quad. Their use is identical, though not the pinouts.

Zanac-X

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Bill_Marsden :thank you very much. this is the first time when i actually enjoy simulating a circuit :)

may i ask some very.....ahm......basic electronic Qs because im really just beginning to advance a little bit here so.........

1st : i've always seen schematics with electrolytic capacitors to smooth out the output
but ive never seen it with another capacitor at the same point (Vcc of the U2b) what is going on here ?

2nd : what is the use of R8(10K) between Vcc and output of U2a ?

3rd : why did you Decide to put two resistors between the potentiometer R5(10K) ?

4th : can i use different values of potentiometer say 100K ? how will this effect the circuit ?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Bill_Marsden :thank you very much. this is the first time when i actually enjoy simulating a circuit :)

may i ask some very.....ahm......basic electronic Qs because im really just beginning to advance a little bit here so.........

1st : i've always seen schematics with electrolytic capacitors to smooth out the output
but ive never seen it with another capacitor at the same point (Vcc of the U2b) what is going on here ?

Electrolytic capacitors are about the least "ideal" of all the types, but they give a large capacitance in a small package.

They have ESR and a little bit of inductance - sometimes its necessary to back up the electrolytics with smaller types that have less undesireable properties but couldn't provide enough capacitance as an all out replacement.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The caps are for filtering the power supply. See the sticky Decoupling or Bypass Capacitors, Why?. Generally there is nothing wrong with using electrolytics, since values that large are usually used for DC voltage separation. With high frequencies small caps are much better, their characteristics are closer to ideal.

You will need to google open collector. A open collector gate only has a transistor going to ground, to go positive it must have a pull up resistor. This is R8 in that circuit. It also turns Q1 off hard when it goes positive.

A 555 switches between 1/3 Vcc and 2/3 Vcc. The resistors shown (R4 & R6) elimate dead space. The entire pot is used to make 0% to 100% PWM. A voltage could replace the pot, as this is a voltage controlled PWM circuit.

100KΩ will work just fine. Just adjust R4 and R6 to 100KΩ also to keep the voltages the same.