PWM for power led

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
Hi all,

I´m working on a project for my university (industrial design) and I need to use PWM. The project is a torch with a Cree high power led (XPG), using a 6V battery. I already made the constant current regulator and it works fine.

My issue is with the PWM. The circuits I could find (most with the 555) have current output of 200mA, and I need at least 500mA for the light I want. Is there any PWM circuit I can use for these specs (~6V in, ~500mA out)?

Already thanks.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Show me ur schematic and I will add the FET to it and repost it.

And no..No energy will be lost as latest fet's have low RSDON. that is the on resistance in the range of miliohms

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Well--is this a circuit with an inductor that forms a (more or less) constant current setup, or is there going to be a resistor in series with the LED? If you have a resistor, there's limited use in having a low-resistance FET, as you'll just be moving the place where the power loss occurs.

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
Show me ur schematic and I will add the FET to it and repost it.

And no..No energy will be lost as latest fet's have low RSDON. that is the on resistance in the range of miliohms
Here´s the schematic of PWM (I´ve got it from instructables.com):

Well--is this a circuit with an inductor that forms a (more or less) constant current setup, or is there going to be a resistor in series with the LED? If you have a resistor, there's limited use in having a low-resistance FET, as you'll just be moving the place where the power loss occurs.
It´s a linear current regulator made with IRFZ44N and BC548. I really have loss there, but I couldn´t find a IC driver to buy. If the PWM goes to 500mA I´m planning to forget the current regulator and try the led directly to the PWM.

Attachments

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Funny...
Why don't you try what I did...
Check post 5, I have attached a diagram. I think It would suite ur needs.
The transistor can handle 500mA quite easily
{ed}
Hold on...let me clear up that diagram for u. Gimme a few minutes.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Here´s the schematic of PWM (I´ve got it from instructables.com)
That diagram has a draw back. I think that config is likely to damage the 555 pretty quickly.

What I did is quite safe and reliable.
( much thanks to Bill )

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Or u can give this diagram a go.

You can change the freq. by changing C1 Value
The transistor can handle loads up to 1A safely.
But it is a good idea to have small heat sink if u plan to go more than 500mA

Attachments

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
Pretty nice.

I´ll try both R!f@@ and Bill_Marsden´s circuit.

Bill, I only need one led. May I just take anyone of those off?
What is this circuit´s max. current output?

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
R!f@@,

Where would the FET you said in post #4 go in my first circuit? I´m having difficulties finding the ICM7555 to build your circuit.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An ICM7555 is a Cmos 555 made by Intersil. A TLC555 is the same made by Texas Instruments and an LMC555 is also the same made by National Semiconductor.

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
An ICM7555 is a Cmos 555 made by Intersil. A TLC555 is the same made by Texas Instruments and an LMC555 is also the same made by National Semiconductor.
I really can´t find any cmos here.

I have a new doubt. I always tought that if current was ok, voltage wouldn´t matter, but today (looking for the cmos), the seller told me that voltage must be controlled too. Is it right? What about linear drivers like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Circuits-for-using-High-Power-LED-s/ ? I made one of this and feeding it with 6V I measure 6V at the end.

Already thanks

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
Where is here? What part of the world are you?
I´m in a small town in Brazil. I´ll order them from the capital city, but I´d like to use what I can buy in the shops close to me, to begin the work at once. At the worst I´ll learn something more :)

I´m even looking for PIC´s tutorials (funny is that I can get PICs here. Maybe people here just don´t like cmos...).

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
An LED controls its own voltage because it is a forward-biased diode. You must limit its current. The transistor in the instructables circuits limit the current in the Mosfet and LEDs.

BG79

Joined Apr 19, 2011
An LED controls its own voltage because it is a forward-biased diode. You must limit its current. The transistor in the instructables circuits limit the current in the Mosfet and LEDs.
So (to be sure), if I send 12V, 350mAh to one high power LED it will be ok?

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If an LED is rated for 350mA then you can send a million volts and limit the current to 350mA and it will work fine (if the voltage doesn't jump over everything). The "thing" that limits the current will heat with (0.35A x 1 million V)= 350 thousand Watts.