Pwm controlled by thermistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_mat222

Joined Aug 14, 2013
Ok. I know have a problem. I have a pwm that needs to control a fan motor in the roof of house. Temperature in the roof sits between 30 and 60 deg celcius during the day.

Been bashing my head trying to figure out how to control a pwm using a thermistor. At present it is controlled by a pot. Some details:
Pwm is controlled by pot. Voltage running through pot is 5v. 5v results in 0% duty cycle and 0 volts 100% duty cycle or wot which then allows the full 12v to flow to the motor.

Application: Want to replace pot with thermistor that will operate the motor at 1/2 speed when @ 40°c (or perhaps 30, have to run further tests) and increase speed to wot @60°c. The actual temperature settings at this point in time are irrelevant as its just a matter of playing with resesitors.

Problem: tried replacing in the thermistor. I could only get a ntc type which are non linear which is not ideal but will do. Made more difficult because resistance decreases with temperature.

Initially created a dividing circuit resulting in about 5v going to the pwm which means its 0% duty cycle. To control the pwm the way I want I'm looking at an input voltage (to the pwm) of between 2.5 - 0 volts. I have a bread board which I have been playing with resistors etc but I am no good at the maths which would make it a lot easier than guessing and i have not come close at getting the outputs I need.

I hope it's clear as mud. Any help appreciated. I would draw a picture i knew how to add it.
Cheers
Mat

Voltage to duty cycle : 5V → 0%, 0V → 100%.
Temperature range : 30℃ ~ 60℃ ?
thermistor :
25°c ≈ 114Ω
30°c ≈ 74Ω
40°c ≈ 52Ω
50°c ≈ 20Ω
60°c ≈ 14Ω

Pwm voltage : 2.5V - 0V.

On my previous, unrelated thread about using a pwm to control vehicle accessories, someone suggested using an Op Amp to get the results.
Any help is appreciated.

mad_mat222

Joined Aug 14, 2013
How do I put up a picture? The circuit looks good. If I chopped everything including the capacitor and diode out, would I then use voltage at R4 as the controller voltage ie would it read between 2.5-0v.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
How do I put up a picture? The circuit looks good. If I chopped everything including the capacitor and diode out, would I then use voltage at R4 as the controller voltage ie would it read between 2.5-0v.
With tweaking, yes.
I need to go, so I'll get back to you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.