PWM 12Vdc to 120Vac inverter

menotu3169

Joined Mar 8, 2007
Hi, new to the forum, and trying to find a little help

For one of my college courses, I'm trying to build a 12Vdc to 120 Vac inverter. The same kind of thing that you plug into the cigarette lighter of your car to power your TV, or whatever. My professor told me that the best way would be to use a PWM. It doesn't have to have a lot of power, I'll be happy with anything really.

Anyway . . .on to the help part: I have no idea where to start.

I know I need a PWM(obviously), and I figure that from there I use an integrator to get the SineWave output. Thats about as much as I know.

If anyone can guide me in the right direction, provide a Block diagram or a full-blown schematic, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note: I bought a cheap inverter from . . .somewhere(i forget at the moment), and took it apart to try to backwards engineer it. When I got inside I found an IC, that I have yet to identify. If anyone can help me there, it would also be greatly appreciated.

It was a
SCIENCE
YC9701-0412

menotu3169

Joined Mar 8, 2007
Alright, I've been working on this for the past few days, and I was just wondering if someone could tell me if I'm at least heading in the right direction

I figure, that if I have a Mosfet(or some other switch) in series with a Capacitor, connected across a 12 Vdc source, with a PWM controlling the Mosfet, I should be able to get an approximation of a 12 V sine wave. If I use a 1:10 transformer, I should be able to get it up to 120.

My problem now is, will I be able to get any sort of Power out of a setup like this?

I tried setting up a PSPICE simulation, but I couldn't get it to work. I'd protoboard it myself, but don't have the time.

wongkenji

Joined Mar 7, 2007
You will most probably need a Space Vector PWM, I'm having the same problem as you. I'm also dealing with an inverter and I need to design a SVPWM in Simulink but I still have no idea how to. So, if anyone out there has any ideas to share that'll be great.

(P.S. Do you happen to know a lot about inverters?)