pvdf tube as an led driver?

djimb

Joined Jul 26, 2009
i've been trying to find information about the output of pvdf piezo elements in the interest of using a tube as an acoustic resonator (specifically a didjeridoo) that would drive led's when it produces a note. Unfortunately i haven't been able to find much. i was able to find a thread regarding the activation of led's with a piezo disc, and have looked over the schematic found here: http://www.discovercircuits.com/DJ-Circuits/door-knock.htm that was linked in that post, so i know the basic principle is possible. ultimately my question is whether a pvdf tube would be usable as a piezo element, and if so how would one go about connecting electrodes to it to run the led's...

any help is much appreciated.

-Jim

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So are ou wanting to add electronics and a battery to drive the LED as shown? A simple speaker and an active filter would do pretty much the same thing, Google color organ.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Might not a microphone do the trick more simply? The difference in energy coupled through a door by a knock and a note in a tube is probably several orders of magnitude.

djimb

Joined Jul 26, 2009
thanks for the replies. I'll look over the color organ schematics i found. ultimately i'm looking to keep the circuit light to avoid any damping of the vibration in the tube, hence my desire to use piezos rather than a microphone. I was kind of hoping that i could use the entire tube as a piezo, as i'd like to mount the led's directly onto the tube so that they'll light up when it's played.

thanks again,

-Jim