push on push off

badbaud

Joined Mar 5, 2009
Got this very tiny circuit going on the back of a business card. Runs off of a 3V button cell. How can I make the power applied to the circuit turn on and off with one tactical switch push? One push turns the circuit on and the next push turns it off. Is there some kind of one part solution to this problem?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We need a bit more information. What are you going to do with this push on / push off? It so happens I came across a 555 circuit that does something similar. There are a lot of designs out there using different methods, the end effect is what is important.

badbaud

Joined Mar 5, 2009
The main IC has a on/off pin. Low is on and 3V is off. I wonder if there is a thin tactical switch that has "push on, push off" capability? Otherwise I will have to use a 555 circuit to turn the main IC on and off and a form "A" tactical switch. Damn, another IC added to the circuit, maybe a tiny slide switch would be better. It would prevent that "butt dialing syndrome" I hear so much about.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

Never built this, but I think it will work. If you use a CMOS 555 you can go to 2V on the power supply. The problem with CMOS 555's at this voltage level is the current drive is almost nonexistent.

If you want to reduce the current even more raise R3 to 1MΩ and R4 and R5 to 100KΩ, and drop C1 to 0.1µF. Using surface mount components it can be really, really small.