push button operation of the k179 stepper driver, help please.

AndrewW

Joined Jun 19, 2010
Hello ,

New to this forum although i have come accross it several times in the past, and have even registered, which i cannot remember doing :)

Anyway the reason for this post is simple, to try and find a solution to something i am trying. I have the k179 stepper driver kit which works fine. As soon as you apply power it moves the motor one way, flick the switch and it moves in the opposite direction. What i want to be able to do is use a dtdp momentary on-off-on switch to control the circuit. So when i press one way it turns the stepper one way, release it and it stops the motor and cuts power to the circuit, then press the other way the motor reverses. I am not sure if this is possible, but i thought you guys might be able to help. I am running the driver off 12v supply.

http://kitsrus.com/pdf/k179.pdf

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
remove S1.

install new DPDT switch (on-off-on, momentary).
wire one half as S1.

break connection between S2 and 4093.D and insert other half of new switch.
both NO and NC contacts should be tied together.

for example connect them to COM and STEP of S2.
connect COM of new switch to inputs of 4093.D.

S2 remains and keeps it's function, but now you have new switch instead of S1.

AndrewW

Joined Jun 19, 2010
This might sound like a silly question but how would the switch look being wired up it has 6 tabs on it like the ascii pic below.

- - -
- - -

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
top three tabs are one section of the switch (for example original S1).
terminal in the middle is moving contact (COM), terminals on left and right are NO and NC (one goes to +5V, other to DC ground).

bottom three terminals are same kind of deal, middle one goes to IC, left and right ones are connected together and wired to S2