Pulsed HV DC supply

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I see the posters thread was locked for talking about transformerless work with AC.

I don't understand Why he would be thinking about using any AC inputs at all when his first sentence was "I have a 200v 15amp DC powersupply"

He even listed the "SSR" as one of the items in his tranformerless circuit idea.

I would think he should try to 'pulse' the output from his 200V power supply using a DC rated SSR. A simple 555 timer probably could be built to run the SSR and switch the DC supply voltage at whatever speed he wanted.

And for the matter of transformerless circuits being dangerous, I would think 200VDC would be just as bad if not worse when it can give you a full 15 amps. :eek: Talk about AC being dangerous, Whew.

Hey let's drop these leads into some highly conductive wet liquid stuff and then let's put lots of highly conductive metal in there with it and then let's apply 200VDC to it.

That's called electrolysis, but unless he's working at a factory doing tons of the stuff at one time, I've never heard of anyone using more than about 20 volts to do home hobby style electroplating.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I'm not sure if you're for or against, but it is a core rule at AAC, one that has been around as long as I've been here. We will allow high voltage power supplies, but nothing transformerless.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I'm all for staying true to the rules. I don't want to encourage anyone here to break any rule. I was simply pointing out(and hoping the original poster might get a clue) that he already has all the power he needs to do what he is wanting, he just needs to pulse the power from his DC supply. Why? he would start talking about AC and rectifiers is a mystery to me. He should concentrate on using the powersupply DC voltage he already has, and the equipment he already has.

I've done my share of stupid things with electricity in the past. Safety in this hobby can't be stressed enough, especially with all the young and inexperienced types this site seems to draw.

Hope that makes sense,
Kermit