pulse to constant X3 circuit

firebird1

Joined Jan 12, 2009
ok i thought this would be easy enough but i am having trouble figuring this out

I need to control three 12v relays with the push of one momentary button.
Example: If i push the button once while relay 1 is on it will turn off relay one and turn on relay 2. then i push it again and it will turn off relay 2 and turn on relay 3. Push it one more time and it will turn off relay 3 and go back to turning on relay 1.

I did find a circuit that used two relays to activate/deactivate a relay on the12volt.com but i could not find a way for it to control three relays

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Use a decade counter IC, connect relay 1 on Q0, relay 2 on Q1 and relay 3 on Q2. Finally, connect Q3 to reset. In this way each time you press the button one relay will turn on (in sequence from relay 1 to 3). Note that, you have to use transistors on the outputs of the decade counter to drive the relays.

firebird1

Joined Jan 12, 2009
i looked up using transistors a switches but i could not find any diagrams that used positive to activate the transistor. How would i go about using the decade couters positive out put to activate the transitor

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Connect the transistor emitter to ground, the relay between the collector and positive supply voltage, and the base to the output of the decade counter via a 2K2 resistor. Also, put a diode in parallel with the relay coil with its anode facing the collector.

firebird1

Joined Jan 12, 2009
here is a quick scematic i drew up.

Does this look right?

Also what kind of transister should i use?

( I have yet to include the diodes )