Pulling christmas lights from shelves.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I got a couple strings of 120 LEDs about 15 or so feet long for $5 each. Limit 2 per customer.

All white, but very narrow beam. I got it more for the bundled 6 white wires to repurpose than the actual lights and "chaser controller" that can't be modified (chip on board style controller).

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
A couple of years ago two homeless guys here broke into a large sub-station to steal copper wire. Bet you can't guess what happened :) Since then they passed a law that you need some form of picture ID to sell copper or aluminum. The aluminum they were stripping siding off of houses at night.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
There is absolutely no accountability for the criminal element because they have the vote, usually more than once, and our municipal judges are part of that graft. One of the local prominent athletes in Cleveland built a very nice house at the corner of Chester and about 75th Street East. It was all brick and very attractive. It was his personal attempt to "give back." Well, first of all, he had to post guards 25/7 to keep the building materials from being stolen. Then, the house had an iron fence put up around it. Last time I drove by, it was vacant. It is not racism, it is reverse evolution. Our own LeBron James tried to do the same in a non-elite neighborhood. Now that he has moved, I suspect that house can be had for a bargain price. How sad. It is a sick and worsening situation is all American cities.

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
We had CeLo Carmello Anthony do almost the same.

He had a block of nice homes re-done in the 'ghetto' and they get rented for like $50 a month.

The way you can tell someone has moved in is the nice glasswork door that was there is now GONE. often replaced with plywood.. And the nice brass lighting fixtures are now just hanging romex and a bulb(maybe).

Iron storm doors..gone.

Stainless appliances..GONE..

But he also built a community center that is doing well a few blocks down from the homes.

It offers after school kid-sitting, and free education and recreation.

Maybe the next generation will absorb a little.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
We can always hope.

We had a typical piece of scum build and ignite a fire bomb that killed 8 kids (half of whom were in the house on a sleep over) and one adult. The local judge just decided that the piece of scum had a "learning disability" and couldn't face the death penalty. The entire community is outraged (except for the scum's mother). This is not about whether the death penalty is just; it is about judges changing the law on the lamest of excuses. In this particular case, the most appropriate thing might be to let the accused murderer out on bail of $100, for which he would have to pay only $10. I'll bet he wouldn't make his next court appearance.

John

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Hate to break it to yah shortbus but the scrapyards aren't that strict on policy.
On copper and Aluminum they are around here. Not steel or cast iron though.

Another thing that was big for a while around here was stealing manhole covers to scrap. A friend of mine found out the hard way when riding his Harley, going kind of slow down a dark side street and the front wheel dropped into the open hole. Who looks for something like that? Was off work several months from injuries. Now they spot weld the covers to the rim.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
On copper and Aluminum they are around here. Not steel or cast iron though.

Another thing that was big for a while around here was stealing manhole covers to scrap. A friend of mine found out the hard way when riding his Harley, going kind of slow down a dark side street and the front wheel dropped into the open hole. Who looks for something like that? Was off work several months from injuries. Now they spot weld the covers to the rim.
Now that sucks.

That is unbelievably selfish and foolish.

Downright murderous!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Dallas keeps being hit by copper thieves, one of the old active Masonic buildings (Dallas Cathedral) was hit, $10K worth of damage to the air conditioners for $100 of copper.

The name is deceptive, it is meant for balls and large dinner parties. It was designed to be a very large pretty building, it is also used frequently for weddings.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Dallas keeps being hit by copper thieves, one of the old active Masonic buildings (Dallas Cathedral) was hit, $10 worth of damage to the air conditioners for $100 of copper.
Ten dollars of damage for One-hundred dollars worth of copper?

This is the over-unity of money making!

Thats 1000% profit if you do it yourself.

Get it repaired for $10, then yank the $100 of copper out again. Rinse. Repeat.
;)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm gonna go ahead out on a limb and say you live in an area that was hit pretty hard by the meth epidemic. Crime like this follows meth. The dealers actually teach the addicts how to steal ID's and how to steal copper and alum. Here in FL meth is very look down upon as a trashy drug. Since the price of cocaine is so low here, meth has never gained much ground. Sure the truckers and bikers do it. But if you want meth your gonna have to drive out of the city and find a trailor park here. I know out west and in the mid west meth is just taking over everything.
Not much meth but a whole lot of crack cocaine. This area has been in decline since the steel industry died. The city was the murder capital of Ohio for a long time, but thats been better for 5 or so years.

The steel industry was the Mahoning Valley for a long time, Bruce Springsteen wrote a song "Youngstown" about what happened here.
Packard Electric(where I worked) and Lordstown GM were the other big employers here. Packard went under but Lordstown is even hiring because of the new 'Cruze'.

Now other than Lordstown all we have is telecom/phone bank jobs left. And crime.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Ten dollars of damage for One-hundred dollars worth of copper?

This is the over-unity of money making!

Thats 1000% profit if you do it yourself.

Get it repaired for $10, then yank the $100 of copper out again. Rinse. Repeat.
;)
A K got dropped during an edit. They've done their best to make the area even more secure, which I question whether it will work or not.