I built this circuit:

http://www.laro.com.pl/pdf/pt4115.pdf

I use:
Led3W I~700mA
100uF capasitor low ESR
Schottky SS16
Rs 0.13Ω
coil 100uH
I dont use these four diodes for the bridge, because I use a DC power supply.
For dimming I used mC and a function generator. As far as I understand if I just leave this pin, it should be always on. Right?
I lost a few circuits, because it makes a short between GND and SW. The diode just blinks and thats it.
What can be wrong? A component I use? Or smt is wrong in my circuit?

Attachments

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
My DC input is lab power supply. max 1.5A, 24V. I set it to 12V normally. And about 700mA.
If I conect Dim to +5V it does the same... In the datasheet it's written: "The DIM pin is pulled up to the internal regulator (5V)
by a 200KΩ resistor." So I should be able to leave it floating?

I tried some different things and sometimes Led was lighting, but the regulator wasn't working. It's hard to test it, because every time I need to remove and solder another smd circuit. I already lost about 10-12...

And a polarity; I connect Led's minus to the coil and plus to the resistor. The schottky diode's "line" to Vin. Is this ok?

Last edited:

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
You mention you set your power supply to about 700mA. Why?

If there's nothing wrong with your build this shouldn't matter. You aren't hitting the current limit on your power supply are you? The LED current is approximately 700mA, it could be more?

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Yes, thats true. I set 700mA for testing. Before I was trying 1A. I dont want to destroy the Led during the tests. Is that a problem? If I set too low current?

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
well, I don't think it hits the limit. I has a display with a voltage and current so I can always see.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
using current regulated power supply with switching circuit- it could not get much worse.

It can not work correctly, you need to remove the limit.

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Ok. I will do that. Can I use another lab supply, but this one has no current regulation(Only voltage)?. It has max 5A. But in the other hand, if this won't work... my led will be destroyed. Am I right?
I used before rectified 15V 800mA and I think there was a problem as well. Anyway, I will try. Could you tell me why I can't use a current regulated power supply with switching circuits?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What do you mean the LED blinks? At what rate? Are you using the dim pin yet?

I built the attached pt41115 supply some time back and it seems to work fine. I left the dim pin float.

Attachments

Last edited:

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I mean it flashes for a sec and it stops for good. At 12V 0.7mA-0.8mA. I tried to use dim pin but it was the same. Tomorrow I will rebuild the circuit with a different dc supply.
In the schematic you attached there is a capacitor with plus connected to the GND?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I mean it flashes for a sec and it stops for good. At 12V 0.7mA-0.8mA. I tried to use dim pin but it was the same. Tomorrow I will rebuild the circuit with a different dc supply.
In the schematic you attached there is a capacitor with plus connected to the GND?
There is a 10uf to ground if that is what you mean. It is the only cap on the board.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Where did you get the pt4115? I bought mine from eBay then later got an email from eBay saying the part was a bogus part but everything I seem to see they work fine.

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
I got mine from two different shops.
But that capacitor is reversed... Plus goes to Gnd and minus to Vin. Is that ok?

LauraB

Joined Dec 15, 2011
No problem Spinnaker.
I connected 120V max 5A power supply. The circuit is burning, I can see the smoke. The led lights. But i haven't measure the current, cuz anyway it's burning. ehh

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I assume the chip is SMD? As I recall it is only available in SMD. Did you mix in through hole components like I did? If so are you certain you have everything connected correctly? I know I had to think about how to orient the chip in relation to the components on the other side of the board.