PSU Display Wiring...

Calcifer

Joined Jun 19, 2013
ok so finally got my parts list compiled for my First Power Supply.
One of the parts i got is a 3 in 1 Display (voltmeter,Clock,Temperature)
i basically only wanted it for the Temp and Volt but a clock is nice too.

Problem is.. Wiring it up.. it has 3 cables
Red: Power Supply +
Black: Power Supply -, Measure -
Green: Measure +

I know that the Black and Teal Cables go for Measuring. But where do i put the + Power Cable (red)..
I know it Cant be after Regulator, because it requires a minimum of 7volts.
But does it matter if i connect it before or after the capacitors?

Here is the Layout i am using (got it from the Make Website)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Essentially there is no before or after, it's all one piece of wire. Make sure the voltage on the caps with nothing connected is not too great for the meter. If it is you'll need another regulator for it.

Every project needs a good source of power. Good luck with your project!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
ok so finally got my parts list compiled for my First Power Supply.
One of the parts i got is a 3 in 1 Display (voltmeter,Clock,Temperature)
i basically only wanted it for the Temp and Volt but a clock is nice too.

Problem is.. Wiring it up.. it has 3 cables
Red: Power Supply +
Black: Power Supply -, Measure -
Green: Measure +

I know that the Black and Teal Cables go for Measuring. But where do i put the + Power Cable (red)..
I know it Cant be after Regulator, because it requires a minimum of 7volts.

Here is the Layout i am using (got it from the Make Website)
What are you looking to do with this and how much current do you think you will be using ????

Essentially there is no before or after, it's all one piece of wire. Make sure the voltage on the caps with nothing connected is not too great for the meter. If it is you'll need another regulator for it.

Every project needs a good source of power. Good luck with your project!
Whats wrong with connecting to caps ???

Calcifer

Joined Jun 19, 2013
yea i think i had a bit of a blonde moment there when i said before or after the caps.. i was looking at the diagram picturing it to Look like that when i built it lol..

Yea im basically building an All in One type Power supply/Box to Test various projects im gonna be starting and to provide other functions... I can get a max of 2 amps out of this configuration and i plan to add a variable Constant Current to it as well using another LM317.

But basically this thing will be able to do Temperature, it will have a Variable Speed Controller that kicks on when it gets too hot, a Fume Extractor, An alarm to remind me when my shows come on, an FM radio, and i also plan to enable it so that the voltmeter and ammeter can be used externally as well.. I have most of the components built and the case just waiting on a few more parts to come in the mail so i can finish The actual Power Supply itelf and power the rest.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
yea i think i had a bit of a blonde moment there when i said before or after the caps.. i was looking at the diagram picturing it to Look like that when i built it lol..

Yea im basically building an All in One type Power supply/Box to Test various projects im gonna be starting and to provide other functions... I can get a max of 2 amps out of this configuration and i plan to add a variable Constant Current to it as well using another LM317.

But basically this thing will be able to do Temperature, it will have a Variable Speed Controller that kicks on when it gets too hot, a Fume Extractor, An alarm to remind me when my shows come on, an FM radio, and i also plan to enable it so that the voltmeter and ammeter can be used externally as well.. I have most of the components built and the case just waiting on a few more parts to come in the mail so i can finish The actual Power Supply itelf and power the rest.
LOL Please read the specs of the lM317

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Was you referring to me?
Yeah you made a Blonde comment

what did i miss?
are you reffering to the 1.5Amp limit of the LM317?
Yeah and the lm317 can handle up to 1.5amp max and if you going to be pulling 2 amps or even close to the 1.5 amps then I would go with something with a bigger rating because that lm317 will get really hot and mostly likely need a fan to cool...

Calcifer

Joined Jun 19, 2013
Connect Ds1 to Ds3 so that it can measure its own supply voltage.
sorry missed that before
If i did that it would require a minimum of 7volts to start Reading

but if im understanding some of what is being said, i should be able to connect it to the in side of the lm317 without issues