PSpice 9.1 & Ham Radio

Gliderpilot

Joined Jul 2, 2009
Hi,

As a semi-retired EE I am looking to get back into ham radio. I have always enjoyed design and "hombrew" projects. I am looking to replace pencil and paper with software for schematic capture on my XP computer.

PSpice 9.1 looks like a good candidate but I'd like to hear from others. Is it easy to learn? Are there limitations, bugs, etc. that would frustrate the casual user?

Thank you!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Where are you thinking of getting it? The basic question comes up, most people are wanting that most elusive of all prices, free.

If you do a search, especially in the electronics resoursce area, you will see the threads in question.

Beduin

Joined May 20, 2009
Hi there...

Am no pro, but it is not that hard to use.
I have designed simulated and made print boards via orCAD.
I have basic knowledge, feel free to pm me if any problems :)

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I have used quite a few of them:

1) orcad: the most comprehensive I have used. the version I have does just basic spice but that's enough for me. doesn't do digital / mixed signal well. high recommended for analog work.

2) proteus: the best digital / mixed signal simulator there. not many models available and the gui is a little bit less than intuitive. high recommended for digital / mix-signal work.

3) ltspice: the best free spice simulator money can buy, :). and it is free.

4) multisim: a little bit bloated now it is with NI. a little "toyish".

5) tina: never quite learned to use it. nothing stands out either.

6) protel / altum: more pcb-focused than spice focused but it can do simulation.

I usually start in ltspice (available from linear's website), get a concept working and then to orcad to refine it.