Prototype wire gauge

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Like Shortbus I usually use telephone wire or cat 5, it's really cheap, especially if you can find a few metres in a builders skip.... lasts for ever!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I wouldn't use it for prototype use, but it's not my build.
Why no please post pics of yours please ..

I can't imagine trying to use insulated wire to jump across the .1 inch pads on the back of my prototype boards. Trying to strip the insulation with a bunch of .03 inch doughnuts left on the wire is almost impossible.

I just use my pocket knife to strip enameled wire. Not Mil-spec quality, but it works for my stuff.
Check out Temco
They have green and red wire available and no reason to strip because the coating acts like a flux ..

You didn't ask me, but here's my answer. It's much easier to follow wires of different colors in complicated prototypes. I use black for ground, red for power, and six other colors for signal paths. Using nothing but enameled wire wouldn't work for me.
:eek:
I do apologize for that ...

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
For Strip board prototypes etc I also pick up the bundles of a 100 insulated hook up wires off ebay. $1.20/100 postage paid.
Max.
Because I use the same wire and tool pictured back in post #7 and can have both ends of an insulated wire stripped long before anyone else can even get their pocket knife out of their pocket.

And yeah, I have 10 different colored wire too. Plus uninsulated bus wire.
No, I thought you were talking about one single "donut" for going to an adjacent pad. I use telephone "trunk" wire myself, many colors in the bundle and it was free.
For me I don't care because I am use to stuff like this .. I went to school for telecommunications and use to dealing with large pairs of wires with matching colors ... For me the insulated wire is too bulky .. Using the the left over leads or making solder paths looks ok for me and can be shorted out very easily ...The enamel wire is thinner and no stripping and offers some level of protection from shorting or grounding except the joints them selves ...
Here some help I will be using in my designs ..
I understand for that purpose but I am looking for a better end result and less likely of a error ..