Prototype Board

samh93

Joined Oct 4, 2011
Hey everyone. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I wanted to aim this question towards the project section. I'm currently learning to make PCB's at college which is really fun. We're using a laser printer and Ferric Chloride.
So I just wanted to ask some questions for my market research which would really help me if you'd be kind enough to answer them.

Would you buy a prototype board? If not why?
What specifications would you look for in a prototype board?
What size prototype board do you find most effective?
Whats the highest price you would pay for a prototype board?
Do you prefer permanent or solderless proto boards?

Thankyou everyone

Sam

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
These are really vague questions and all have multiple answers depending on stage of design/unit count...

By the way, what you are doing is called the Toner transfer method for making diy PCBs....

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hey everyone. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section but I wanted to aim this question towards the project section. I'm currently learning to make PCB's at college which is really fun. We're using a laser printer and Ferric Chloride.
So I just wanted to ask some questions for my market research which would really help me if you'd be kind enough to answer them.

Thankyou everyone

Sam

Yes of course.

Multiple bus lines.

The size that will fir your needs.

As much as you can afford. You get what you pay for. Assuming you are buying from a reputable dealer.

Both have their uses. Solderless is good for testing your circuit. Perf boards are good for something more permanent when you don't want to make a pcb.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
>>>Would you buy a prototype board?
I buy them all the time, keep some in stock.

>>>What specifications would you look for in a prototype board?
Well, it depends. For a temporary small project I may get a real cheap from Radio Shack. But I far prefer a nice piece of FR4 with plated thru holes; just a more stable piece to build on.

>>>What size prototype board do you find most effective?
A large board is a 4x6" Vector board. I also have a stock of smaller boards (1-2" by 2-3"), plus several device adapter boards such as SOIC to DIP conversion (so I can use SMD chips in hand soldered boards).

>>>Whats the highest price you would pay for a prototype board?
I believe the vector board is in the 10 dollar range. I can see one off EBay I have somewhat larger for 10 bucks.

>>>Do you prefer permanent or solderless proto boards?
I would never use a solderless board.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have over a square meter in stock, but will buy more if I run out.

Generally single pad-per hole on 2.54 mm centers.

Varies widely. I use large breadboard and cut them down to size.

About $1.00 per square 10 cm x 10 cm, but most of the boards I buy are less than $3 and measure 40 cm x 22 cm as bought.

Same as ErnieM: I would never use a solderless board.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I buy quite a few prototype boards.

It depends on the application. I buy some cheap phenolic boards and some FR4 boards. Some are single pad and some are multipad per connection.

I use different sizes, but quite a few are 50 cm by 50 cm. My favorite is my own design. It allows me to use only one for a small project and to connect it to others for larger projects. See the attachment.

They both have their place. To try out something for educational purposes, I often use solderless, but if it's something I want to keep, I use a prototype board.

Attachments

samh93

Joined Oct 4, 2011
Wow thanks guys, You have no Idea how helpful this all is! I can understand why perf boards are prefered. I've had quite a few issues with solderless which I blamed on components. Sorry the questions were rather vague but thankyou so much for taking the time to help me. I'll keep you posted on my progress

Thanks again
Sam