Proto board

samh93

Joined Oct 4, 2011
Hey everyone, I just wanted some feedback and maybe some suggestions on this prototype board I've designed. Would you use this type of proto board or a solder-less board?
It measures 80mm x 50mm
Thanks everyone

Sam

Attachments

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
It looks interesting - I'm always up for something new to try.

What would be the advantage over a standard "strip board" with a few of the strips removed across the board?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you wanted to use the large traces as power rails you would have to cut too many traces. This edited version would be easier to use:

samh93

Joined Oct 4, 2011
thanks for replying guys, the large traces were actually just decorative but I like the idea of having power rails. Well this design has perfect spacing for microchips and it generally looks a lot neater than strip board. This design is more for second or third prototypes, I'd like it to have a solder mask and maybe have it tinned. The design is also double sided, so soldering will be really easy.

Sam

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
thanks for replying guys, the large traces were actually just decorative but I like the idea of having power rails. Well this design has perfect spacing for microchips and it generally looks a lot neater than strip board. This design is more for second or third prototypes, I'd like it to have a solder mask and maybe have it tinned. The design is also double sided, so soldering will be really easy.

Sam
Don't forget there is a disadvantage to DS boards with plated through holes: removing components is more difficult.

samh93

Joined Oct 4, 2011
I've changed my design to a single sided board. I've actually had issues with double sided so it'll be nice to be able to re-use the proto board or correct mistakes.

Thanks guys

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Kinda similar to this one, isn't it?

Can you make it for under $3.49 USD a copy?

With just 15 vertical holes it cannot handle a 40 pin DIP.

samh93

Joined Oct 4, 2011
Well I've done my calculations and if I'm right, I can make 40 of these boards, sell each one for £2 and break even

Sam