Protection system for standalone solar power system

Wind23

Joined Sep 26, 2012
Hi all, i would like to know how to provide protection system for a standalone solar power system with both AC and DC loads.

The total DC watt hours/day : 97.2 W (DC loads)
The total AC watt hours/day : 240 W (AC loads)

Can simple fuse be used to provide protection in this system?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Protection is measured in Amperes not Watts, you need to know how much current your drawing from the system, then use an appropriate current limiter.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Can simple fuse be used to provide protection in this system?
No. The National Electric Code (NEC) provides a wealth of things to attend to to keep the system SAFE.

The choice of the components, rating of wiring and breakers and fuses all com into play.

Fuses are only necessary if there is a battery in the system (and those fuses are quite expensive).

Here is something to study if you are truly motivated to make a safe compliant installation.

Note the NEC is all about safety, and has nothing to say about functionality.

Wind23

Joined Sep 26, 2012
Protection is measured in Amperes not Watts, you need to know how much current your drawing from the system, then use an appropriate current limiter.
Hi, i am using a 10A charge controller for the system. I am planning to use 13A fuses to provide protection for all the components like solar panels, charge controller, battery and inverter. Is this correct and safe to do?

Or

can i just connect the negative terminals of the solar panels and battery to ground to provide basic protection from lightning while for the charge controller and inverter to use 13A fuses.

Another question is how can i provide protection for devices charging using USB ports(5V,1A) ?

Could you provide me with better suggestions or correct me if i am wrong?

Thanks.

Wind23

Joined Sep 26, 2012
No. The National Electric Code (NEC) provides a wealth of things to attend to to keep the system SAFE.

The choice of the components, rating of wiring and breakers and fuses all com into play.

Fuses are only necessary if there is a battery in the system (and those fuses are quite expensive).

Here is something to study if you are truly motivated to make a safe compliant installation.

Note the NEC is all about safety, and has nothing to say about functionality.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion.