Proper way of extending an extension cord

shreko

Joined Oct 25, 2008
Sorry if this is a dummy question, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I have an extension cord which is in the form of multiple outlet surge protector rated 350 to 550 VA, with cord 10ft long. It serves standard office computer equipment (desktop, monitor etc). Currently desk/cord layout poses a tripping problem so I need to extend it. It only need to be extended for another 6-10 ft. Is it safe to use single outlet extension cord (1M-1F) with same or better AWG in length of 6-10 ft, in which I would plug my multiple outlets surge protector.
If not, what would be better way to do it?

Thanks

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Sorry if this is a dummy question, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I have an extension cord which is in the form of multiple outlet surge protector rated 350 to 550 VA, with cord 10ft long. It serves standard office computer equipment (desktop, monitor etc). Currently desk/cord layout poses a tripping problem so I need to extend it. It only need to be extended for another 6-10 ft. Is it safe to use single outlet extension cord (1M-1F) with same or better AWG in length of 6-10 ft, in which I would plug my multiple outlets surge protector.
If not, what would be better way to do it?

Thanks
It's probably safe, but you may have a company policy against "daisy chaining" extension cords. We do it all the time in our shop, which causes the resident bureaucrats to hyperventilate a lot.

Eric

italo

Joined Nov 20, 2005
# 16 awg is not exactly very good for 10 " and depends of the strands 5 is not exactly a good conductor. The power cord was design to begin with for 10" leave it at that. It will work with another 10' sure but you say SAFETY now is the time to add another $10 to get that. And may I add if insurance gets involved into INVESTIGATING the source of fire your claim maybe denied by that silly daisy chain addition . BEWARE

shreko

Joined Oct 25, 2008
OK, when I said cord length is 10ft, I did not have it with me, just guessed.
Now I measured it and it is exactly 6 feet long cord.
I also missed VA rating. The exact model is APC Line-R 600, so 600 VA. They are around 11 years old now, but they work well.
Does that make any difference? Is there a way to practically and legally extend this thing?

Thanks

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
First check with your local regulations. Many places frown on permanent extension cords, and will want you to add an outlet instead. Extension cords are much more vulnerable to damage than are conductors in the wall.

If your local regulations permit the permanent use of an extension cord, use one rated for at least as much current as the wall outlet is rated for. You might only use an Amp or three, but there is no way to predict what some other random person might do. Insure the extension cord is protected from potential damage, and that it does not present a trip hazard.