Project: Textool SOIC Socket_DIP Adapter

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
3M makes a device called a burn-in socket under the brand name of Textool. The datasheet available on the 3M site does not show the pinout, but that information is available from technical service.

I needed a socket for programming 8-pin SOIC microprocessors without using ICSP . One can be made using the Textool for about $20.

Here is a picture of the competed gadget, an image of the PCB, and the Eagle .brd file. I have also attached the additional datasheet from 3M that shows the pinouts. I used a 1/32 PCB so as not to limit the lengths of the header pins too much. I can provide the Eagle .lbr for the Textool device if anyone wants. Just PM me.

John

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What you see is probably an optical artifact from too much conformal coating applied all at once. I wanted a heavy coating, and after masking, it was hard to get into all the nooks and crannies.

John

Edit: I think I see the areas you are referring to. They still work.

alberss

Joined Oct 14, 2009
Hi,

I just received my 3M Textool with part # 208-7391. It's a SOIC PGM/Burnin SOIC ZIF socket. I am having a problem with it (maybe it's just me..): I can't seem to get on of my Attiny 85 20PU SOIC's in the socket! Is there a special way you should insert the chips?

I like your 'hany' conversion board. Do you have a 1:1 pdf file of the print layout for me?

Thanks,

Stephen