Project Help please!!

Lee BMW

Joined Feb 17, 2011
Hey Guys

Newbie to the forum just looking for some help please, you all look pretty knowledgeable so thought itd be a good place to start :)

Basically what I want to do is run a car washer jet/pump system (off the 12v car battery) in some way that will allow me to flick a switch, then the washer jets will run for say 5 seconds on, 20 seconds off, 5 seconds on, 20 seconds off, in an unlimited cycle until i flick the switch off... :)

(If anyone is interested its to go into a drift car with washer jets in the rear arches to keep the tyres cool while drifting on sunny days at Santa Pod raceway :))

I'm a pretty competent solderer and I'm good with car audio installation etc, but this is a bit out of my league!!

Thanks in advance!!

Lee BMW

Joined Feb 17, 2011
1. Modifications to the ECU or engine sensors are not topics for discussion. Too many safety and legal issues come up. Air quality and safety trump performance.

Its not modifying the ECU or sensors so thats all good :)

2. Any homemade wiring modifications to signal or head lighting, or penetrations through the fiewall are not for discussion. The lighting function is to too critical for non-approved wiring and connectors. Many safety issues are involved. Preventing chafing in wires passing through driver-made holes is impossible to guarantee.

Not got anything to do with lighting :)

3. Add-on items that exist in the passenger spaces is generally okay. Exceptions are lights flashing to music and similar driver distractions. Assurances that the color organ will only get operated while sitting still is not credible.

Doesnt go anything with music/lights and it wont distract the driver as its switched on before track time and after track time :)

Hopefully the mods allow it :)

Lee BMW

Joined Feb 17, 2011
I guess this can de done with a LM555 controlling a relay. That activate the jet pump. We have forums rules regarding auto modifications. But I guess this will OK. As it is more or less a passive system. But the the mods have to decide
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=40361
Honestly mate I'm a noooooooob with this kind of electronics lol... Can you go into a bit more depth pleasE? :)

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Honestly mate I'm a noooooooob with this kind of electronics lol... Can you go into a bit more depth pleasE? :)
LM555 is a very popular timing circuit for hobbyist. You can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC. Since you are using it in a car. I will not recommend the CMOS version. As the standard version can handle supply voltages somewhat higher than the CMOS version. This is at least true for the National Semiconductor version. It is produced by many vendors. Here is the datasheet http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM555.pdf Look for ASTABLE OPERATION

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
A $3 Picaxe 08M microcontroller and 20 minutes of simple programming would do this with ease. These are much more stable and less prone to false triggering than a 555. Join the Picaxe forum and bounce this off of them. They'd love to help.

Lee BMW

Joined Feb 17, 2011
Ok I think im getting the idea now, slowly :p

So basically the legs of the LM555 would have to be wired in a way as such to do what I want it to right?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
A $3 Picaxe 08M microcontroller and 20 minutes of simple programming would do this with ease. These are much more stable and less prone to false triggering than a 555. Join the Picaxe forum and bounce this off of them. They'd love to help.
The 3$ Pic axe may very quickly be quite more costly. Like need of a USB to serial cable plus plus. Although working with controllers are cool. And I would have used it my self, but no PICaxe. In this case the OP says he is a n00b. So I think a simple solution using a 555 circuit will be best in this case. No need for voltage regulators etc.
@Nerdegutta that was a "blodharry" video:eek:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
what specs do you need mate?
Power and Ampere... I'm guessing 12v since it is a car. But I can't guess the Ampere...

Maybe you have a picture of the pump, or better, a datasheet...

@t06afre:
It sure is a "blodharry" video. I believe the guys in the video are some Swedish rednecks...:rolleyes:

Lee BMW

Joined Feb 17, 2011
When i get the details will someone be able to help me with a wiring diagram/how to wire it all up and the parts that I will need?