Project enclosure

odm4286

Joined Sep 20, 2009
Hello everyone, I have a quick question about project enclosures. I've built most of this simply dc power supply

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-12/build-simple-dc-power-supply

and now I need to make an enclosure to finish it up. I was thinking about using plexiglass and actually found an old picture frame that someone threw out. Would it be safe to to use the material found on the picture frame? Its definitely some type of acrylic sheet but I'm not sure which type.

Thanks

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Hi ODB4286,
For this type of project, your salvaged plexiglass will do just fine! Just keep all the mains wiring safely inside so that no-one can get electrocuted!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
And of course "if" a fire starts in your power supply the plastic is only going to fuel it further. Metal is a better choice.

And yes as wayneh said.. You'd better ensure that you aren't trapping any heat your power supply is dissipating. A fan is never a bad idea as well as adequate ventilation holes.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Plexiglas, acrylic and lucite are all versions of poly methyl methacrylate. Once overheated, they will depolymerization and burn well. You are better off with a polymer like polycarbonate, PVC, or any polymers with flame retardants compounded into the plastic.

Best and easiest is metal. Use an old ATX computer power supply. They are about the size you need and already have the Mains connector and fuse build into the box. Fire and electrocution are the biggest concerns of this hobby - both are deadly.