Project Costs?

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Hello,

I was wondering how much it would cost a large corporation (For example Samsug or Motorola) for the development of a new home automation product line similar to products found in the following web site:

http://www.control4.com.au/

Basically, would a large electronic corporation be able to put a line like this on the market in 6 to 8 months or would it be more like 6 to 8 years. Bearing in mind that modules have to be created with intgrated touch screens filled with a multitude of options and have the ability of communication by RF from one module to another. Also, keeping in mind that a full system integration of circuitry such as micro processors (100000 lines perhaps) flash memories, CPLDs would need to be implemented. And suppose we were to integrate a camera aswell.

Can anyone express the amount of effort and money that would be required for a company to compete with an already existing company like COntrol4?

Just seeking some feedback on this issue.

Thanks for your input.

With regards
Rob

rougie

Joined Dec 11, 2006
Oh yeah, I almost forgot,

I mean don't forget, we are not talking about using WinCE or Linux, everything has to be done from scratch! Meaning you have to program every pixel and its color yourself in order to display pics, menues Icons and overlying characters.

And am talking about a full set of options and features were one can load any picture in the module which Control4 doesn't offer.

I don't know about this but it took me 2 months just to do the driver for a 16 mbit SPI flash in my last project. And when I say 2 months.... I mean 10 hours a day since there were bugs and at every step o the way things didn't always work the first time or the first 10 times in most cases.

If it would be that easy then why are there just a handfull of these companies on the market (5 to 8 of them!) The actual market is huge.

Please get back to me your feedback is very valuable to my survey on weather it is worthed or not to persue this market!

With sincere regards
Rob

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
My guess is around two years.
But the problem with approach like this is that you will end up with a 2-year old (in functions and technology) device, while the new things in the market when you present it will be much better and more capable.

rwmoekoe

Joined Mar 1, 2007
you're right.
i thought so too.
but when we remember how big works get done, we know that big teams can accomplish them.
in project managements, it's measured in man-hour.
for example, you need 2 months to finish your work on last project. that means 60 days.
when 30 people work together on that same project, they can finish it in 2 days. the total man-hour remains the same, 60 man-hours.
don't be afraid to achieve big.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
you're right.
i thought so too.
but when we remember how big works get done, we know that big teams can accomplish them.
for example, you need 2 months to finish your work on last project. that means 60 days.
when 30 people work together on that same project, they can finish it in 2 days. the total man-hour remains the same, 60 man-hours.
Except that the relationship is non-linear. More people almost always means longer development time. Just think of how much time has to be wasted in meetings.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
you're right.
i thought so too.
IMHO, This statement is false! You cannot add in x-amount of men and save a proportional amount of time. Anyone that has worked on a big project will know that. To a point, yes, it will save time, but then you come to a point where you lose a great deal of efficiency or worst, you may be counterproductive.

Steve

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I once saw a meeting to finalise a handful variable names, for a firmware developed by a team, that lasted for more than an hour :)

I would say less than two years for a complete system. There are ways to shorten this while keeping the size of the team small. It depends a lot on the projection of how many units you could sell in a month. Helps are available at every corners during the development.

Fun Quote:
1 man in 9 months = baby
9 men in 1 month = ?!!?

Just the same way, we cannot delegate certain things. Proportion of the team depends upon the level of modularization of the work. It cant be more than that.

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
I was actually involved in the development of something just like this for commercial buildings. Took 6 months to first prototype, 3 more to alpha test, 3 more for first release. Four developers, all senior level, working full out 50-80hrs/wk.

However, we didn't design our own OS. Mainly because it is a bad idea. Why reengineer the wheel?