Project cost estimation

cheypr

Joined Oct 13, 2009
I have to d a cost estimation for my project and I was wondering if you guys know a good software, spreadsheet, template, guide, etc that could help me do it. I have never done a project cost estimation before. My project consist of a child seat restraint alarm based on bluetooth. I was thinking to include time of development + materials + labor + production.

Open to suggestions :cool:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
+1

I think the tool you use is secondary to the process you use to include and estimate all timelines and costs. This isn't a "big" project that screams for a dedicated tool. I've managed much larger projects using only Excel to keep track of people's responsibilities.

Don't forget to cast a wide net, and get patent lawyers and regulatory approval folks involved as early as you can. Those can often be the rate-limiting timelines.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
+1 more.

A spreadsheet is more than enough. You can do it in Word or just on a piece of note paper. The key isn't in what you do with the numbers -- that's trivial and well defined. The key is in coming up with good numbers to begin with, and that's a YOU task.