Project box mounting

mooseo

Joined Jan 6, 2011
Hi all,

I've got a small circuit board and an aluminum project box it needs to fit in... I'm looking for suggestions on how to mount it in place. The box is too thin to tap easily, though I guess I could have a nut on the outside (but that wouldn't look so pretty). In the past, I've used double-stick tape for this sort of thing, but it seems like a kluge.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
mike

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There are short, threaded, round or hex shaped tubes, that fit 4-40 or 6-32 threads so you can only show the pan head of a bolt on the outside of the box. The hex spacer threads on the end of that tiny bolt, then the circuit board, then another short bolt.

You might mount a switch or volume control on the circuit board and by mounting that to the box, thus fasten the circuit board in place.

There. 2 ideas.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Or cut a piece of thin wood to fit snugly in the box and glue it in.
Then use it as a chasis to attach hardware (standoffs, ect...) too.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Put insulators (scotch tape, masking tape, foam, whatever) and let it float. The wires will keep it still for the most part.

There are as many ideas for mounting as their are people. If you're board is empty on the edges you can make a pair of slots with wood or plastic and slide it in. Many cases have this feature already molded in.