Project 8mm film magnified on a piece of glass a few inches away

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
If you have a stationary piece of true 8mm film you run the risk of destroying the film itself
A lot of the heat transferred is radiant heat so, no matter the source (incandescent or LED), the opaque areas on the film can absorb a lot of photons and get hot, melt, ignite...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I’m late to the party and haven’t read everything, but is there a reason we’re not just using an 8mm projector? They’re not exactly rare. I have one in my basement.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I’m late to the party and haven’t read everything, but is there a reason we’re not just using an 8mm projector? They’re not exactly rare. I have one in my basement.
He wants it to ft in a space that allows only 6cm from rhe film to the glass (presumably frosted) he is projecting it onto. Don’t think there is room for typical projector.

Bob

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
He wants it to ft in a space that allows only 6cm from rhe film to the glass (presumably frosted) he is projecting it onto. Don’t think there is room for typical projector.

Bob
Ah, I see the image size exceeds the distance from the projector. Yeah, a normal projector doesn’t do that.

jerujanssen

Joined Mar 27, 2021
Why 8mm film/projection?
It’s for an artproject. The endgoal is a small Faux holographic Projector. Hence the projection on glass. The projected image doesn't have to be Very sharp. I Would like to handcrank the projector.

It would be easier to use reflection of for instance a bright screen (my first version used this). But: I love old technology and the repercussions it has. It takes time and effort to film, develop and edit it. Which makes it different from our daily vids shot on our phones. This 8mm clip will be watched over and over again.

The 8mm also adds an analog feel to it. If I can pull It off somehow it would be awesome...

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Once you start moving the film, there is a bigger problem to deal with. The click, click, click sound of a projector is caused by a mechanism that holds the film in place then clicks to the next frame with a Geneva Mechanism or other motion-stopping mechanism like a stepper motor.

1617189214354.gif

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
It’s for an artproject. The endgoal is a small Faux holographic Projector. Hence the projection on glass. The projected image doesn't have to be Very sharp. I Would like to handcrank the projector.

It would be easier to use reflection of for instance a bright screen (my first version used this). But: I love old technology and the repercussions it has. It takes time and effort to film, develop and edit it. Which makes it different from our daily vids shot on our phones. This 8mm clip will be watched over and over again.

The 8mm also adds an analog feel to it. If I can pull It off somehow it would be awesome...
Consider a prism arrangement like you find in Porro prism binoculars to increase the focal length in a smaller space. You might be able to cobble together a projection lens from a cheap thread in wide angle adapter designed for MFT (Micro Four Thirds) camera.