Project - 741 Op Amp Tester

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Using a generic voltage regulator as a voltage reference, in this kind of application, is not a good solution, adjustable or not. The LM317 has 1% time and temp stability. This is equivalent 100mV potential drift at 5V (ignoring the tempco and stability of the resistors and adjustment pot.).

By comparison, an LM4041 adjustable reference has about 100ppm time and temperature stability, or 100 times better! Remember, he is trying to qualify parts based on a few tens of millivolts difference.
Thanks joeyd999.
During that time that I just thought the LM7805 may not reach to 5.00 or something like that, using LM317 maybe can do that, so I didn't have other thinking, sometimes I will waiting for the response from op, after you mentioned that, yes, using generic voltage regulator is not a good idea, normally I will using Tl431 for Vref, do you think is it ok for that?

MJaske

Joined May 5, 2013
Anyone know of an existing spice model for the LM4041 that I can import to Multisim? Is their an equivalent model?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
MJaske, you got the basic opamp circuit wrong, you have +5V on one intput and you are referencing the gain to ground, so the output "should" go to 5*(10+1)=55V, but hopefully you see that it will stop close to the power supply voltage and thus give you meaningless results.

MJaske

Joined May 5, 2013
MJaske, you got the basic opamp circuit wrong, you have +5V on one intput and you are referencing the gain to ground, so the output "should" go to 5*(10+1)=55V, but hopefully you see that it will stop close to the power supply voltage and thus give you meaningless results.
Yes I caught that a little bit ago. You are correct on the voltage output as well.