Programming cc2430

hazzman

Joined Dec 17, 2007
hi people i'm doing a wireless sensor project using the cc2430 SoC. The general operation is that an accelerometer will pick up vibrations (upto 100Hz) and this will be digitised via the 2430 ADC, buffered using external RAM (found serial FRAM to do this) along SPI and finally wirelessly transmit this to the base station (cc2430 dev. board).

We are now at the stage to program the CC2430 and am asking for advice of how to program it exactly, i have C knowledge but none in MCU prog. domain. I'm using IAR workbench 7.20H to do the programming/compliling etc.

For peripheral programming we need a 32 MHz clock and want to initialise ADC.

The "CC2430.h" has the following for the ADC:
Rich (BB code):
SFR(  ADCCON1   ,  0xB4  )   /*  ADC Control 1  */
Looking at the cc2430 data sheet and at these corresponding registers ADCCON1:
bit 7(EOC): 0 -conversion not complete, 1-conv. complete
bit 6(ST): 0-no conv. in progress, 1- start a conv. seq, if ADCCON1.STSEL =11
bit 5-4(STSEL): start select, 00- ext trigg, 01- full spd, ..... 11- ADCCON1.ST=1
bit 3-2(RCTRL): controls 16bit num. generator
bit 1-0(-): reserved always 11.

So therefore if i want to start a conversion would i be correct in coding this in my c code:

Rich (BB code):
 SFR(ADCCON1, 0x73)

// 01110011 : 0x73

Hello,
i'm interrested with cc2430 programming because i'm developping a personnal small board with this component. did you program your cc2430 with parallel port or with other interface ?
Thanks for your help
Fred

hazzman

Joined Dec 17, 2007
howdy,
wow i posted that one months ago, long forgotten about it nearly.
Anyway i have made a substantial amount of progress with the CC2430.
To program the CC2430 u need to buy an evaluation board, in which the evaluation module sit on (like a child module). The evaluation board allows you to debug, program and do stuff to the evaluation module.
Programming is dead easy, download IAR embedded workbench 8051- its cc2430 compatible, then download RF studio flash programmer, adjust some settings on the compiler to allow the flash programmer to act as an add-on tool on IAR and change the output of the compiled file to .hex format and away to go, connect up to the board via USB and then u and can program, compile and upload ur code all using IAR !

Hi !
Thank you for your answer ! I study instead how to program this component with a simple parallel port ( some tools are downloadable to program ti devices ).
Here is my board prototype !
Bye
Fred

Attachments

hugolp

Joined Apr 18, 2008
Hi

I have been programing the CC2430 for some months now using the TI z-stack. Am I the only one finding it very buggy? I am having lots of problems with the chips hanging randomly for no aparent reason, plus the ZCL part of the library didnt work directly and I had to patch it. Anyone experiencing this? I am using last released version 1.4.3

cyklo86

Joined May 4, 2008
to fred_from_france:
Hi fred. Could you advise me were it is possible to donwload something to parallel programming? I am not able to find something. I have no kit so I am not able to program the device.:(

Thanks for replies

Hi cyklo86,
For the moment this personnal projet standby... But i'm sure we can build a low cost programmer with a simple parallel port and some 244' buffers.
As you may have see, the programming port of the component is only two wire and ground signal.
I tell us asap !
Bye

Fred

I m doing a project of home automation using CC2430.the software is EW8051-EV-730B.i m facing some problem in serial interfacing of the device with PC.can anyone guide me

Hamilton

Joined Jun 20, 2008
I have done several designs with the CC2430. The easiest is to spend the $600 and get the development kit with 2 SmartRF04 development boards and 2 CC2430EM modules that plug into it. Be sure to download the free Ti RF studio and Flash Programmer. Even if you do not have the development board RF Studio is useful. Set the GUI up with your operating parameters and it provides tables with all of the registry values. IAR.com has a free tool for developing the c code and a custom debugger that is really nice. You will also find a header file for the Ti CCxxxx part you chose.

The next less expensive approach is to get Helicomm 1220 complete with the CC2420, a SiLabs C8051F120 MCU and even the antenna modules or similar. Many of these are CC2430 based and available from Digikey.com, mouser.com, or SiLABS (under $30) . You will have to tag a few wires and connectors to it. This comes preprogrammed with a RS-232 port and command library that accepts AT modem commands via hyper terminal. With a $50 JTAG module from SiLABS you have a great Ti development setup to write your own software. SiLABS has a free programming tool and support library.

The bargain is the Ti EZ430-RF2500 (2 Target Boards, USB Debugging Interface, Battery Pack with Expansion Board, Batteries and Software (http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=296-23031-ND ). Download Ti RFStudio, the IAR tools for free, plug it into the USB port on your PC and start writing code. The Ti site http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ez430-rf2500t.html has great reference designs and code libraries. The Ti EZ430-RF2500 looks like a USB memory stick with the MCU and RF SOC. This is great for developing software while away from the desk.

If you want to start from scratch there are a few good PWB layout tools.

This is just a few jump start approaches. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm working now with cc2430 and i would like to now how to program it as coordinator or end device
if someone now,please send me documentation or file program
thank you

chethankp

Joined Jan 27, 2010
Hi, I'm very new to the cc2430 soc..
i want interfce some sensor to this SOC..My sensor outputs the analog volatage, but i dont know how to use ADC in CC2430. Can any one help me in reading the analog value from some CC2430 ports and convert in to digital....?

thanks
chethan