Programming a Toshiba TMP47C443N

Bobbias

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Ok, so I'm new to the whole microcontroller world. I've been doing reading, and considering projects that might require using a microcontroller, but I haven't gotten a chance to play with one. I recently tore apart my girlfriend's old dead microwave (not sure what happened, magnetron seems to have gone haywire and nearly melted right through the wall of the cooking area) and found a Toshiba TMP47C443N in it.

I'm wondering what I would need to program this thing, and if I could maybe hack together something to do that from my desktop.

I've got the manual for the chip, and skimming it has turned up nothing detailing how to program it.

I have also sent a message to Toshiba asking for information about it, but so far haven't gotten a response.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I had a quick look at the datasheet and it keeps mentioning ROM, which suggests this is a one time programable part. Reprogramable micros typically have EEPROM.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
If you want play with MCU or want to learn than as per me you should try Microchip's MCU or ATMEL's MCU why because you will get lots of resource over internet on them.I started with Microchip's Mid range MCU "PIC16F84A" its simple to understand.

The MCU in real applications the final product most of the time will be one time programable i.e.. you cant re program it (in case of your microwave it may be..)

Good Luck

Bobbias

Joined Aug 15, 2010
Ahh, well, that makes sense. I was really hoping it was reprogrammable, because I basically have zero budget for any sort of project right now. Everything I have is scavenged. Even my "power supply" for checking stuff out right now is really just a random 5.1V 2A wall wort that I chopped the end off so I could get at the wires without the specialized connector.

So yeah, I'm really just trying to see what can be done without a budget, lol.

I'm a college student going for electrical engineering, but my program is concentrating far more on the power generation and distribution stuff than automation (which is what I want to do).

I do have a co-op coming up, but most of the money I'll make during that is already accounted for too (tuition, getting my POS car road ready, etc.)

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
I dont know about without a budget but offcourse with a low budget.
Use ATMEL's AT89S52 mcu its quite low cost and making its programmer will be very also very low cost and one of the nice stuff is that you will learn about 8051/8052 architectures.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Thats the reason you get a girlfriend! Because SHE PAYS FOR YOUR HOBBIES!

Geez. Kids are getting dumber and dumber..

just kidding ;)

Where do you live? You dont have your location in your profile... I may be able to send you a few things to play with if you are really interested in learning MCU programming.

I have a few dozen programmers and ump-teen uCs laying around...

like seriously LAYING around. I had to pull one out of my friend-girls back the other morning.. (Late night...dont ask...unless you really want too)

I cant promise that chip will still work, with all the ESD we were generating, it may have fried the sucker.

;)

But I also have some PROPERLY stored and packaged uCs also...