Programming a PIC from HiTide?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm new to PICs and thought I would give the Hi-Tide IDE a try along with the HiTech C compiler for the 18F PIC.

I can get a project built and complied just fine but I cannot figure out how to actually program the PIC! I searched all over Hi-Techs site and found nothing. They have some wonderful tutorials on how to write a program in PDF and in Eclipse Cheat Sheets. They talk all about running the debugger but not one word on how to actually program the PIC!!!

There is nothing in the IDE that I can see that programs the PIC. The only thing that comes close is Tool\Chip Erase.

But then I get

java.io.IOException: Could not connect to the USB device. Make sure HI-TECH JTAG device is connected

So I go to Hi-Techs site to do a search and they don't even have a search function on their site!

Anyone know how to get this to work?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
java.io.IOException: Could not connect to the USB device. Make sure HI-TECH JTAG device is connected

So I go to Hi-Techs site to do a search and they don't even have a search function on their site!

Anyone know how to get this to work?
The JTag interface device is only used for the PIC32MX family of IC's.... I have only seen it come in the "Hi-Tch C Pro for Pic32 MCU Family" package... (like mine did :rolleyes:)

Hitech_Jtag_1.jpg

Hitech_Jtag_2.jpg

The HI-TECH C JTAG debugger interface can also be used via HI-TIDE to program
and erase PIC32 devices.
To erase a PIC32 device select Tools->MTAP Chip Erase from the menu. This
will execute a Microchip TAP (MTAP) ERASE CHIP command.
To program a PIC32 device with the contents of any Intel HEX file select from the
menu Tools->Flash Hex File and the Flash Utility dialog will appear. Enter in the
text field provided a path to the desired HEX file or click Browse to search for the file.
Once a HEX file has been supplied select the target chip and click Program to begin
programming the device.
Most likely you will have to have a separate programmer for the uc like a Pickit2 / pickit3 or similar to program the hex file..

Do you have a programmer??

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes so sorry, should have mentioned it. I have the PicKit 3.

But there is nothing in the IDE that gives you access to the PicKit 3. It's simple to finf in MPLab.

Is there another way to send the hex file to the programmer?

And even if I could, I am guessing I could not debug on the PIC?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
But there is nothing in the IDE that gives you access to the PicKit 3. It's simple to finf in MPLab.

Is there another way to send the hex file to the programmer?

And even if I could, I am guessing I could not debug on the PIC?

You can program the hex file to the pic via the application that came with the pickit 3, open up that app and just load the compiled hex file....

And no, you can not debug unless you have the JTAG debugger and you are using Pic32 uc .....

But there is nothing in the IDE that gives you access to the PicKit 3.
This release of HI-TIDE is a stand-alone product from previous HI-TIDE releases. It
will not inherit any configuration settings, user preferences or workspaces. Furthermore
this release is incompatible with any previous workspaces and may cause corruption
if switched to