programmable switch ideas needed

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
hi, can anyone suggest a switch that can be programmed to remain off for a long period of time (hours) then turn on at a given time for about a second then turn off and disconnect the power to the switch? I know what I want to do but not sure if I need to use a microcontroller or if theres something simpler.

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
Unless you have unusually sophisticated requirements, one might think that an ordinary household lamp timer, possibly with an auxiliary relay, would do quite well (and inexpensively).

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
basically the switch will be powered by batteries, the switch can be set to turn on at a given time and will be "on" long enough to drive a motor with something (not sure yet) connected between the motor shaft and the wall switch that will apply enough torque to flick the wall switch "on" then the turn the switch "off" and the supply to the switch to save power.

markosillypig

Joined Jul 21, 2008
basically the switch will be powered by batteries, the switch can be set to turn on at a given time and will be "on" long enough to drive a motor with something (not sure yet) connected between the motor shaft and the wall switch that will apply enough torque to flick the wall switch "on" then the turn the switch "off" and the supply to the switch to save power.
what is it for ??

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
yeah, I might do. Do you know much about microcontrollers? Is there anything simpler I could use? I googled timed switches and was directed to the CMOS 4060B Counter but from what I can see the "on" and "off" periods are the same when I want a long period "off" and a short (possibly less than a second) "on"