programmable switch ideas needed

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by hunterage2000, Jun 14, 2012.

1. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    hi, can anyone suggest a switch that can be programmed to remain off for a long period of time (hours) then turn on at a given time for about a second then turn off and disconnect the power to the switch? I know what I want to do but not sure if I need to use a microcontroller or if theres something simpler.

2. markosillypig

Jul 21, 2008
    what is the voltage you want to switch and what are you switching and how many amps ?

3. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    not really sure but in the on state, a small motor will be driven long enough to flick on the switch of a wall outlet.

4. K7GUH

Jan 28, 2011
    Unless you have unusually sophisticated requirements, one might think that an ordinary household lamp timer, possibly with an auxiliary relay, would do quite well (and inexpensively).

5. markosillypig

Jul 21, 2008
  6. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    yeah I saw one of them. I just wanted to see if I could do it with my method.

7. markosillypig

Jul 21, 2008
    well it could be feesable but a little more info would help more

8. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    basically the switch will be powered by batteries, the switch can be set to turn on at a given time and will be "on" long enough to drive a motor with something (not sure yet) connected between the motor shaft and the wall switch that will apply enough torque to flick the wall switch "on" then the turn the switch "off" and the supply to the switch to save power.

9. markosillypig

Jul 21, 2008
    what is it for ??

10. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    nothing really just want more experience in circuit building. I want to do more electromechanical stuff.

11. markosillypig

Jul 21, 2008
    have you thought about arduino ??
    its the best thing i bought and can run on 12 volts and do just about anything

12. hunterage2000

May 2, 2010
    yeah, I might do. Do you know much about microcontrollers? Is there anything simpler I could use? I googled timed switches and was directed to the CMOS 4060B Counter but from what I can see the "on" and "off" periods are the same when I want a long period "off" and a short (possibly less than a second) "on"