Programmable CPLD

TAKYMOUNIR

Joined Jun 23, 2008
please i need to learn programmable CPLD
SO IS THERE IS WEB SITE FOR THIS AND WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN CPLD AND PIC MICROCONTROLLER

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
Well, a “programmable complex programmable logic device” (programmable CPLD) is redundant.

Secondly, CPLDs are much different than microcontrollers. A CPLD basically can take the place of many discrete logic gates (AND, OR, NAND, NOR), so you need to first learn how to design circuits with logic gates and then you can learn how to program a CPLD to implement your design.

TAKYMOUNIR

Joined Jun 23, 2008
well, a “programmable complex programmable logic device” (programmable cpld) is redundant.

Secondly, cplds are much different than microcontrollers. A cpld basically can take the place of many discrete logic gates (and, or, nand, nor), so you need to first learn how to design circuits with logic gates and then you can learn how to program a cpld to implement your design.
thanks very much for your replay i know very well the logic gates and i know how to design circuits with logic gates so can you help me how to learn to use cpld and there is software for cpld
again thanks very much for your help

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
The real difference between CPLD and FPGA is in the internals. An FPGA usually has various special-purpose blocks inside such as RAM, bus drivers, and high-level logic stuff. CPLDs are simpler and can't implement the level of complexity of an FPGA, but the newer, large CPLDs can do more than the smaller FPGAs in some cases.

You can implement full microprocessor cores (even multi-cores!) in a common FPGA. Some FPGAs even have “hard” cores in addition to the reconfigurable FPGA parts. A CPLD is usually more suitable for simpler things like gluing together other electronics and doing complex logic.

You will find lots of discussion on FPGA vs. CPLD if you search, too.

ftsolutions

Joined Nov 21, 2009
The CPLD is traditionally a programmed (fused link) device, so once it is programmed, it is more or less fixed in its programming until it is reprogrammed using a (usually) higher programming voltage to change the links. An FPGA (unless it is production masked for large volume) uses a connected ROM to hold the "programming" for the device, which it loads upon power up/reset. Changing the FPGA programming involves changing the contents of the attached ROM, and not within the chip itself, like a CPLD.