Prograaming an IC

sireiz

Joined Dec 28, 2013
Hi,
Me and my friends are trying to make a software in C++ and in android too, yesterday I thought that why not program an IC with that software. Can we do that? And what skills should i have to do that? Kindly guide me on this and i will learn that skill.

Regards

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi,
Me and my friends are trying to make a software in C++ and in android too, yesterday I thought that why not program an IC with that software. Can we do that? And what skills should i have to do that? Kindly guide me on this and i will learn that skill.

Regards
What do you mean by "program an IC with that software"? What IC? A quad NAND gate is an IC. So is an opamp, a voltage regulator, a microcontroller, a RAM chip, and an FPGA.

Are you talking about loading the C++ source files on this IC? Or the compiled executable? Or what?

There are several C compilers (and at least some C++ compilers, but much less so) for various microcontrollers. In most cases, you have to compile "further" than what you are used to. Specifically, you are probably used to compiling to an executable file that is then run on a hardware platform that is running an operating system of some kind. Most programs targeting microcontrollers are "nonhosted", meaning that there IS no operating system, so it has to be compiled all the way to the complete machine level instructions including bootstrap code and all OS calls turned into self-contained functions.

Even on today's microcontrollers, most people aren't quite ready to pay the performance penalty that is associated with C++. But that is changing and will continue to change.