Professional counterpart of nrf24l01+ arduino module?

Noxuz

Joined Oct 14, 2018
What is an example of a industrial grade module for wireless serial communication that has a range of aprox 5 miles? It doesn't matter if it has more power requirements. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
First of all, you are probably looking in the wrong place. 5 miles will need a lot more than Bluetooth or WIFI. I remember seeing equipment around 432 Mhz with a directional antenna that could probably do the 5 miles.

Where in the world are you? When you start talking about range like that you may need a license.

Noxuz

Joined Oct 14, 2018
First of all, you are probably looking in the wrong place. 5 miles will need a lot more than Bluetooth or WIFI. I remember seeing equipment around 432 Mhz with a directional antenna that could probably do the 5 miles.

Where in the world are you? When you start talking about range like that you may need a license.
Could I just power amplify the transceiver side of the nrf24l01 module?

Noxuz

Joined Oct 14, 2018
Hello,

The circumstances under wich the RF communication takes place is called RF propagation.
Have a look at the attached PDF for more info.

Bertus
So I could hook the nrfl2401 module to an UHF antena and choose the shape of it depending the the directionality needed.

Noxuz

Joined Oct 14, 2018
I still cant grasp the difference between radiation power and the range capability based off the carrier's wavelength

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I still cant grasp the difference between radiation power and the range capability based off the carrier's wavelength
That is because wavelength is not a primary factor. Read the pdf files.

You care about transmitter power, receiver sensitivity and the gains and losses as the signal goes from transmitter to receiver.

Noxuz

Joined Oct 14, 2018
I really appreciate your responses, after the readings, here are my remarks on RF propagation:
  • Different RF wavelengths have diverse reactions with layers of the atmosphere that allow them to bounce off and reach lengths superior than those achievable with the classic Line of Sight distance, others follow the ground.
  • The numerous antenna designs are a trade between low-gain omnidirectionality and high-gain directionality
  • The size of the antenna dipoles is strictly function of the wavelength, (1/4 rule)
  • Power_receiver = Power_transmitter * gain * (wavelength/(4*pi*d))^2
My final doubt would be, How is the transmitter power increased?, since FM isn't altered by amplitude changes, will increasing the voltage, or increasing the current on AM, at the oscillator, increase the power of the transmitter?, or which RF topic should I research on?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
NRF24 is not capable for 8 kilometers. Passport data 1 km. Praxis - we use this wonder very much but rarely it works well over 1/2 kilometer. Up to 3 km works well only LORA, but it has no such austerity as NRF about battery, one bat may feed NRF for many years while only few months a LORA.
Second way to act if that miles are mandatory - put the sharp angle antenna with haigh gain, some Yagi. However NRF with 8 element Yagi at 868 MHz works well up to 3...5 km but no more at our serviced towers. Probably solutions are two
a) hang-on the surplus power cascade on output
b) just rope-on somewhere on trees at that signal path some few retranslators, the same NRF with a battery. However this is not solution if You have un-interrupted datastream.