processing High Frequency

enur

Joined Sep 13, 2008
goodday to everyone.

I have some problems in designing my application. The problem is that I have to process High Frequency (min 5 MHz) so that it can be used by some other tools.
For simple example, my application will be used to display signal input like in digital oscilloscope but the display use PC. So, for this reason, I think I will use FVC as Rx. Because of limitation of frequency operation of the IC (NJM4151), I think I will use prescaler before FVC.

for this reason, would you like to give me some explanation about the "data"?
I mean after prescaler-ing, Is there no missing "data" from frequency?
I am worrying abaut it because my application will be used to detect soft tissue too. So, the "data" is very important.

thanks before

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If you could explain what you mean by "processing", it would help.

What led you to the NJM4151? It doesn't seem to respond above 10 KHz, so that demands a lot of prescaling. Something will be lost when you do a divide by 500.

Do we assume the 5 MHz signal is modulated? If so, there are many methodologies that can demodulate without prescaling the fundamental.

More detail, please.

enur

Joined Sep 13, 2008
The "processing" that I mean is to process HF so that It can be displayed in PC monitor by passing the module. This module is my target application.

I think, It will be easy to process the HF by converting the HF to voltage first (using FVC NJM4151, recommended by this forum in the tittle "principles FVC" because there is no FVC 5 MHz). After it, I can use ADC to connect it to the PC for processing it with software like delphi or others.

Would you like to give me some wise-advice, please?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
If this is simply unmodulated 5 MHz, what does the processing accomplish? Far easier to simply signal if the signal was present or absent. I do not understand the process.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I asked this when you hijacked the other thread, but you never gave a clear answer: What do you mean by "data?" You say the signal has no modulation, but it must have modulation to contain data. What is it about the 5MHz signal that changes to tell us about soft tissue? What form does your "data" take?

enur

Joined Sep 13, 2008
The "data" that I mean is the frequency itself. This is my general problems. I am still not sure how to process it so that it can be displayed in PC monitor. All I have said is just still in "my mind".

About to detect the soft tissue is just for example. As I know, the transducer to detect it used to ultrasound that has HF to generate the Tx transducer. Usually, the transducer are Tx and Rx in one. So, the transducer have 2 cable:
1st. Tx, it is usually connected to signal generator
2nd. Rx, it is usually connected to "tools/module". I may take oscilloscope for simple example "tools/module" so that it is understood.

I have been trying to tell the truth my application problems. May be I am too beginner for you so that we're misundestanding. May be I have to try it the possibility and more.

Thank you for you'll response. Nice to meet you guy! :)

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Okay, here are a series of questions that I have for clarification.

Assuming you are generating a frequency, then have to detect it, then process it, then finally represent the data in a meaningful way.

1) What is your transducer? Ultrasonic, sonic, antenna, something else?
2) Does your transducer have a reciever? Or, is the transducer being used as a reciever?
3) What frequency are you operating at?
4) What do you expect to sense from emitting this frequency? Phase change, Frequency change, amplitude change, some sort of known modulation in return?
5) Do you have any equations or theory that relate these readings to a dataset that can be read by the user?
6) Are you using a PC (not just a monitor) to process the data?

Steve