Problems with programming a control VDHL file for a chronometer.

Warch

Joined May 4, 2010
Dear Reader,

First of all my apologies for my English, but I’m doing my best.
For a school project I have to make an chronometer on an ALTERA UP2 Education Board.
All my counters (hundreds of seconds, seconds, minutes, hours) work fine on the board.
The problem is that I have only two 7 digit displays.
So I can only display hundreds of seconds or seconds, or minutes or hours.
I made all my counters with flipflops and logic gates since this was asked by my professor.
Now it is necessary that I make a control block that sends out the hundreds of seconds until this counter recycles (at 100).
Then I have to display the seconds until the seconds recycles (at 60). Then I have to display the minutes, and so on…. .
The problem in that since it’s kind of crazy work to make this with logic gates, we have to make this control block in VHDL.
Implementing the VHDL-block in my scheme with logic gates and flipflops is not a problem.
I already implemented a frequency divider to divide the frequency of my oscillator.
The problem is that I have to write this control block, and I’m not familiar with VHDL.
I already wrote down some code and compiled, recompiled, search for my faults, recompiled, … .
When I solved a problem there always was a new one.
I have spent many hours searching and debugging but, now I stuck.
So I was wondering if a nice person could help me find my faults.
I’m familiar with c# programming (advanced), c++ (basic), JavaScript(basic), actionscript(basic) and XML(basic) if that helps.

Please note that the inputs are all separate bits and not bit-vectors.
“HSecDoorlopen” is a boolean which says that the hundreds of seconds are passed and “Uur” is Dutch for Hours.
Also the hour-counter recycles at 23. (0-23 displayed).
Normally all inputs and outputs are active low, but for simplicity I putted them active high.
Also I have to implement 4 master signals by DIP-switches.
If the counter is for example displaying minutes, but I want to show to seconds by making the DIP-switch high (1), the seconds have to display and the counters needs to count further.
When no DIP-switch is selected (all 4 = 0), just display the standard mode where the highest counter that is counting will display (in this example back to minutes).
But I will be glad if I can display the standard mode, and I think I will find how to implement the DIP-switches myself, but all help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Warch

P.S. In attachment my VHDL-file and an image to visualize my education board.

Attachments

Last edited: