problem with TL431 in LTSpiceXVII: "unknown subcircuit called in: xu1 n001 n004 tl431 tl431 ed"

Karol Szuster

Joined Jun 20, 2019
Hi,
im beginner with LTSpice and i have a project in which i use TL431, i have read that:
- TL431.asy should be placed in the lib\sym\references folder.
- TL431ED.sub should be placed in the lib\sub folder.
When i click Run i get an error: unknown subcircuit called in: xu1 n001 n004 tl431 tl431 ed.

Thanks

Attachments

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Did you use my collection of libraries and symbols of elements?
Maybe you put the files in the wrong place. Read my web page:
http://bordodynov.ltwiki.org
My library has the location of the library files in all symdol of the items. Otherwise, this may not be the case. Then it is necessary to specify the spice library file on the scheme. There is a .lib or .inc command for this.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi,
im beginner with LTSpice and i have a project in which i use TL431, i have read that:
- TL431.asy should be placed in the lib\sym\references folder.
- TL431ED.sub should be placed in the lib\sub folder.
When i click Run i get an error: unknown subcircuit called in: xu1 n001 n004 tl431 tl431 ed.

Thanks
Hi

If your an LTspice beginner, it easiest to place the .asy and .sub in the same folder as the schematic.
Then add a "directive" on the schematic:
".inc TL431ED.sub"
without the quotes.

See below:

TL431ED.png

LTspice will automatically search the schematic folder for files.

Later, you'll learn how LTspice can be configured to search specific folder paths to find files.

eT

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Be aware that, for Windows10, the LTspiceXV11 version stores files in two places: in the Programs path and in the Documents path. However, by default it only looks for files in the Documents path, i.e in ......User\Documents\LTspiceXV11\lib\sub and User\Documents\LTspiceXV11\lib\sym.

Karol Szuster

Joined Jun 20, 2019
Hi

If your an LTspice beginner, it easiest to place the .asy and .sub in the same folder as the schematic.
Then add a "directive" on the schematic:
".inc TL431ED.sub"
without the quotes.

eT
After your advice, the error has been resolved but I have next one.

Be aware that, for Windows10, the LTspiceXV11 version stores files in two places: in the Programs path and in the Documents path. However, by default it only looks for files in the Documents path, i.e in ......User\Documents\LTspiceXV11\lib\sub and User\Documents\LTspiceXV11\lib\sym.
You were right, for correct work LTSpice need to have files in two places.

upload_2019-6-21_14-47-54.png
Is it a problem with library or with my circuit?