Problem with LCD 16 x 2 Display

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
I have purchased the attached LCD Display and it has come without instructions on how to use it. The datasheet shows what pin is what but nothing else. Does anyone know what I have to do to get it to work or at least show that it is not broken?

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Note that the picture of the LCD on your breadboard does not match the one in your first post. But that's ok. The pinout might be different but they are functionally the same.

Try replacing the 10kΩ contrast resistor with a 1kΩ resistor to GND.
Also you are missing R/W control signal at pin-5.

hunterage2000

Joined May 2, 2010
yeah, I forgot to mention the 16 x 1 pins in the text but I thought the 8 x 2 pins would be the same. So should R/W be gnd'd then?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It depends on the code of your program. If you wish to read back the BUSY status then your code will have to control R/W.

olphart

Joined Sep 22, 2012
Howdy, you really do want to control R/W*. The variance of time delays in different commands make using Busy a big factor. Thankfully, most character based displays have 2 pinouts, both using the same functions by pin, just 1 as a single row, other as double.

Once you write good stable LCD code Save Hell out of it. It's the kind of IP you'll use for a Long time... <<<)))